WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO MY REAR DERAILLEUR!?

Confirmed - 2mm allen key to get the pin out of this mech' (thanks Fluffy Chicken).
Remarkably, it all appears to be intact - even the little O ring has plenty of bounce.
It was pretty grotty when i opened it, but having given it a bit of a clean, it might :| just go back together.....
I'm going to leave it overnight (and maybe tomorrow as well) and attempt re-assembly soon :)

Watched some youtube videos on this - in the ones i saw, the cage moves freely, albeit at completely the wrong angle to the mech' body.

Mine was stuck solid - really took some effort to move it.
I was sure it was going to fall out in pieces when i got the pin out - you live and learn :)

Attachments

• XT Rear Derailleur3.jpg
    XT Rear Derailleur3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 144
You are on track there! Just take your time and be careful when you start putting the spring under tension again.

Another fun one is removing cages from newer low / mid end that Shimano definitely didn't want you to attempt.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=413060

Just thought i should round this out with the news that the rear derailleur went back together really easily :shock:
I was so surprised i took it apart and out it back together again several times.
She's back on the bike and working like a dream :)
I'm bemused as to how it happened in the first place :?
Half expecting to have to add a link or two to the chain, even though i'm pretty diligent with these things on initial setup.
But even in 'big, big' gear (i know..... :| ) the mech is not overly tight.
Anyway, all's well that ends well - many thanks for everyone's help and advice - really appreciated.

Attachments

• XT Rear Derailleur4.jpg
    XT Rear Derailleur4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 86
  • XT Rear Derailleur5.jpg
    XT Rear Derailleur5.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 86
Back