• Race / Team replica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non-original parts but era correct

• Modern parts on old frame

• Total voters
perry":1ckdpnkn said:
i like bikes that make the owner proud not because they have bolted together something to apease the notion they should have done it a certain way

basically bikes with a shred of personality

There's a statement that talks my language!

I'm also with Pete_mcc - I like my bike to be as I would have spec'ed it BITD from a frameset. Where's the 'Period Correct Custom' option? To me, that embodies the ethos of Retrobike more fully than any other...

Tallpaul":3v833cj8 said:
The only thing I really fail to see the point of is modern, workhorse parts on a retro frame. Fair enough if it's an old frame of yours and you're keeping it going as a commuter or whatever - but why post it on this website?*

*There are exceptions to this, I believe that some modern parts are retro and also that some retro bikes are so timeless that modern parts are suitable (i.e. an RC-300 is still retro, so being built with modern XTR and discs is not an issue for me. Also, some really good Ti frames deserve to be ridden hard and require the componentry to match). But there is a large population here who think retro only means old, therefore this philosophy is perhaps not popular.

Interesting.

I think that as you've said there are exceptions.

In my case part of the reason I modified my Caldera is that its worth (not money wise) is worth more to me modded than it is to someone buying an old frame (money wise).

Photo0052.jpg

Part of the retro bug for me is bringing back to life older parts/bikes that deserve their place being ridden today alongside modern rigs. If that means they are built with modern or period correct parts then so be it.

IMHO its quite flattering that folk "modernise" older frames as to me it demonstrates their value up against modern bikes.

Also I like the thought of modern parts being the new retro e.g. thomson being the new Syncros.

Just my 2 cents I guess

letmetalktomark":7re0680u said:
Part of the retro bug for me is bringing back to life older parts/bikes that deserve their place being ridden today alongside modern rigs. If that means they are built with modern or period correct parts then so be it.

IMHO its quite flattering that folk "modernise" older frames as to me it demonstrates their value up against modern bikes.

Also I like the thought of modern parts being the new retro e.g. thomson being the new Syncros.

Just my 2 cents I guess

My sentiments exactly, which is why that Platsa Blue singlespeed Explosif of mine ended up being built. I love riding it the way it is now, but if I'd built it up as "period correct" then it would probably never have got ridden (so what's the point?).

That Caldera of yours looks like it's just begging to be ridden hard though - it's just the sort of build that I would do. Excellent stuff, whatever anyone might say.
Edit - And do you find that "longer than designed for " forks hurt the handling ????
No - I didn't think so.

i prefer period correct, specifically if there is a bit of a reason behind it, ie dream builds from youth. that is what i am mainly driven by. i have never really had much time for factory/ replica builds until i discovered this site and found out just how much time and effort goes into them. i wouldnt have the patience for that.

as for modern builds, again i can understand it. modern affordable frames just dont ride the same as old skool frames

A bit a of this and a bit of that.

Project 1 (retro-modern)
2008_1207alpinestars0007.jpg
[/img]

Project 2 (Old school)
2008_1027canadianmoose0022.jpg

Project 3 (Ex pro's bike back to period)
2008_1224Raleigh0058.jpg
[/img]

Project 4 (????)

The last time I saw something like your project 3, said Mr Timmis stuffed himself into a tree right where I was standing on the off-camber descent at Newnham World Cup round (probably 93 or 94).He didn't get up too quickly I can tell you, saw him holding his ribs later that day!

Shop Soiled

Best is to get one un touched from new. It's worth more! Never repaint and never chuck the old bits.
I like as supplied but with minor mods only to taylor the bike to my size. Keep it period and keep it real.

Evolution.

I like bikes to look like they have evolved over the years. If you have owned it for a lot of years you will have worn parts out and generally upgraded when replacing them. I think if a bike has been owned by the same person for 20 years you could easily end up with a bike that has a component from each of those years. It would probably get ripped apart by some, but is probably more realistic than a lot of what we see.
Oh and full early on xc spec with a foot long stem etc, love it.

Wish I could go for 2 :twisted: Modern parts on an old bike when done right is be fantastic, ditto modified with period stuff. Catalogue rebuilds are boring and BITD I had no interest in racing, doesnn't mean i don't like them, just don't appreciate them for what they're meant to be.

Ultimately somones pride and joy with their individual touch floats my boat :D

Back