What is this thing?!

tommusso

Retro Newbie
Hello all, new to the forum so apologies in advance if this is in the totally wrong place. My forum knowledge, like my bike knowledge, is dreadful. Anyway, I acquired this frame from the back garden of a friend some years back with the idea to do it up because it seemed lighter than my old motobecane and I liked the tubes of the frame.

I've finally started stripping it but wanted to get some help identifying it before I completely strip the paint etc. The logo appears to be a peugeot one, there is a serial number stamp on the bottom bracket hole of "Y994 02100" (assume its '94) and it has columbus tubing. Built in france but sold in bedford by cycleurope uk (again an assumption based on the stickers)

I've done some googling and I think it must be either a Peugeot Performance or a Peugeot Competition but I dont know which so yeah

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(apologies for the absolute state of this frame btw)

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPEG
    IMG_2443.JPEG
    230.5 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_2445.JPEG
    IMG_2445.JPEG
    268.1 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_2447.JPEG
    IMG_2447.JPEG
    296.6 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_2448.JPEG
    IMG_2448.JPEG
    640.2 KB · Views: 586
you've come to the right place to find out what it is.... if anyone knows they will be on here (but not me - sorry)

I can see why you find it interesting and want to do something with it,

whats your plans - new paint or powder coat ?

Re:

I want to strip the paint and leave it bare metal. Maybe try and polish it up and then clear coat it. Some of the old decals for the peugeot look pretty nice so if i can find someone to make me one i might do that. Toying with turning it into a single speed bike just to cruise with but not 100% yet :)

Re: Re:

tommusso":3acvb4al said:
I want to strip the paint and leave it bare metal. Maybe try and polish it up and then clear coat it. Some of the old decals for the peugeot look pretty nice so if i can find someone to make me one i might do that. Toying with turning it into a single speed bike just to cruise with but not 100% yet :)

Gil on here is a whizz as reproduction decals and can be contacted on FB or via his website if you scroll to the bottom http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/bikegallery.html

you could strip it naked and clear powder coat it that would be more durable than paint

just looking at the joints and its not welded like I was expecting so could look nice au naturale

Re:

wow thanks! thats a great help! ill check out his website :) Ill look into a powder coat instead as well thanks

Re:

Thanks very much guys. There is a resource online that would seem perfect but I think the website is out of commission. Bike boom Peugeot? All the interesting web links end there and the site is down. A real shame. Appreciate all your replies

Back