What is light for a retro MTB ??

Oh, i also weighed about 9 stone when i was riding the 19lb torus... last time i rode it i was nearer 13 stone, and you could certainly tell the frame/forks/bars/stem etc aren't as direct as modern kit (the build as it stood then weighed nearer 24-25lbs, with coil forks (not air) and some bog standard mavic wheels/schwalbe tyres and a pretty much complete 950/1/2/3 groupset).

At the time, my best bike (2009 carbon hardtail 26er) was better/more capable in every way, and lighter than the torus had ever been (just under 19 lbs).

I just acquired a steel fully rigid 1998 GT Outpost Trail that weighs in at 31lbs,so from my perspective 24lbs sounds like a featherweight!lol

My Team Issue with front suspension fork is in 10.77 kg with some 520 spd pedals, two bottle cage, chain protector and rear light mount. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=394764

All the main components are stock but some like the seat, tires, chain etc no.
It was a surprise, but it feels quite fast and direct. Marin played the game of weight quite well.

a44f74b569e847eff9885b6006fc6a14o.jpg

Re:

Wow. I love that 96 range. The blue is an amazing colour. You’re lucky to have that bike as you don’t see many.

I assume with the 739 and WI Chainset, v brakes and hubs that you get a bit of a weight saving and also the thread less headset. Its about 350g lighter than mine.

I totally agree that it seems Marin had it properly dialled in at that time - hardtails anyway.

Thanks for sharing. Super jealous.

mattr":21owc1mp said:
Oh, i also weighed about 9 stone when i was riding the 19lb torus... last time i rode it i was nearer 13 stone, and you could certainly tell the frame/forks/bars/stem etc aren't as direct as modern kit (the build as it stood then weighed nearer 24-25lbs, with coil forks (not air) and some bog standard mavic wheels/schwalbe tyres and a pretty much complete 950/1/2/3 groupset).

At the time, my best bike (2009 carbon hardtail 26er) was better/more capable in every way, and lighter than the torus had ever been (just under 19 lbs).

But thats not really the point and that excess 4 stone really changes how a 'light' bike behaves, it changes how many bikes ride. What was light and nimble becomes bendy, noodley and frustrating. Your carbon frame would have had different geometry and would have been built to a wider range of rider and for more aggressive terrain - your 9st former self may even have not have liked the new carbon.

Adding Rockshox DH forks and a Hope hubs/ Hydraulic front brake in 1995 really changed how my bike behaved, risers and the shorter stem took away the 'arse up head down' early 1990's MTB look. The lighter wheelset meant the it felt faster as it spun up quicker (and stopped far far better!) despite being quite a lot heavier with the then shiny new fork. But the frame never changed.

It was a totally different bike barely 18 months from its purchase.

Revisiting that build in 2008, it was still a competitive ride and build but the scene had already changed so much since 1993, it wasnt relevant to the sport of MTB at that time except maybe a few older XC races.

In 2021, it has no relevance at all and is now just an old curiosity or 'look! one of those old nutters on a Zaskar!'

Making old bikes light - to what end? You will hate it around any 2021 bike park, they are designed around modern bikes and the modern bikes are designed around the bike park, each getting more aggressive each year. Riding an older geometry MTB can end up as just a horrible chore.

If you're out riding in the countryside, it hasnt really changed that much and older bikes ride perfectly well and can be more comfortable in certain circumstances

BUT, you will have the modern riders passing you as if you are stood still, and expect the odd look of sympathy/ concern when they see your bike.

Your bike? Can see loads of potential to knock a few grams off that, saddle, bolts, all sorts!

file.php

and heres my 1993 Zaskar at a healthy 24.9lbs in 2011 - dont know exactly what it weighs now but theres definitely more titanium

file.php

Re:

“BUT, you will have the modern riders passing you as if you are stood still, and expect the odd look of sympathy/ concern when they see your bike.”

I’ve not experienced that, in fact most riders either have an appreciation of what you’re riding and admire or don’t say anything.

Where is it that you’re riding getting this bike snobbery !!!

Retrobike is like having a classic car, you don’t ride it to be the same as other modern plebs.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2assdbnv said:
Yes, but what colour where the hope hubs?

Blue

Matttymm":2assdbnv said:
“BUT, you will have the modern riders passing you as if you are stood still, and expect the odd look of sympathy/ concern when they see your bike.”

I’ve not experienced that, in fact most riders either have an appreciation of what you’re riding and admire or don’t say anything.

Where is it that you’re riding getting this bike snobbery !!!

Retrobike is like having a classic car, you don’t ride it to be the same as other modern plebs.

Chicksands, Thetford, ebikers more recently too. Not all of the time just here and there

Re:

Crikey. Taking flac off an ebiker would get my goat. They can’t even be bothered to pedal themselves and have the gall to comment.

I’d be letting their tyres down if it were me

Latest posts

Back