What is light for a retro MTB ??

Re:

Thanks also. I’m realising I’m going to get quickly out of my depth here

My build philosophy at the outset had nothing to do with weight, I wanted a bike the ones I drooled over when I was a kid. That I’ve achieved. XTR has always been the best in my mind and old style cantis and threaded headsets were never going to be the lightest, but they sure look cool.

Are there really rigid bikes from that period 9kg ? Would be amazed. Not that I know a great deal.

Im a heavy rider and not very serious at all. I liken my riding these days to taking the Bentley out for a spin on a an occasional Sunday afternoon so comfort and lightness and feeling proud of my ride are about all that matters, other than not falling off.

Hadn’t thought that a bike too light might feel a bit weird but guess it must do at some stage. You lost touch with the road a bit I imagine, if that makes sense.

What were the stock bikes from that era then that were the lightest ?

If the frames are that light, I'm comparing with my 20" steel frames like a 1997 Kona Explosif or 1991 20" RM Altitude at ~ 4.65lb or 4.2lb for the 1993 RM Altitude frame.

Re: Re:

Matttymm":3lvp0awv said:
What were the stock bikes from that era then that were the lightest ?

Kleins, Cannondales, any Ti-framed factory team spec' bikes, Tange Ultimate Superlight/Ritchey Logic Prestige framed rigs, and oh, some sci-fi carbon wonder from TREK :twisted:

Peugeot did an MTB made from Columbus Nivacrom that was around 4.3lb -ish for a large steel frame

peugeot_teamline_2000_199.jpg

file.php

Re:

My Raleigh Torus was just under 19lb. It was all over the place on rocky downhills, it took a lot of effort to control it.
It is now around 22lb and is easier to control.

If you want to get it under 20lb from 24lb you’ll probably need to change most of the parts to lose 4lb. It’s not really worth it.

Re:

Thanks also

Actually the post was about trying to get a feel for where my bike sits on the “light” range. I’m totally stoked with it to be honest. Just wondered what else was there.

The thread has turned out about losing weight; but I’m generally interested to know what else is out there.

Particularly around 1995 and also anything titanium. M

Would love to see some pics of other bikes

Back