What bike do I have ? Scott Elite Racing steel bike

ThePrivateer

Marin Fan
Hi fellow bike addicts. I was researching my scott bike that I built last year.
- It is a steel bike
- has its original rigid fork
- decals say Scott Elite Racing and factory Ride
- has an unusually high steerer tube
- components were lx, but the guy I bought it from said his uncle built it himself, so idk if those were original

and Google does not find any good match ( lots of team, pro and comp racing bikes though )
“Elite”ony pops up with those (ugly?) carbon frames from the late 90s

I was considering selling the bike because of space issues …. but rode it again yesterday and think it is a keeper :)

Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated !

best regards
ulrich

ED2C16CB-7772-4B78-887B-E688FF056110.jpeg

It is not a Scott. Cable route is all wrong, all should be on top tube. Headtube is far too long. Dropouts are also atypical. High-end Scotts came with no eyelets for panniers also. Nice bike though, ride it like you stole it!;)

@W7Ford
strange thing is, the decals are almost the same - but who in his right mind would copy decals just almost an change the expert to elite . ?
Here is a detail shot, including the seat post lug.
It is not a Scott. Cable route is all wrong, all should be on top tube. Headtube is far too long. Dropouts are also atypical. High-end Scotts came with no eyelets for panniers also. Nice bike though, ride it like you stole it!;)
thanks for the insight, any idea what else it could be?

5CB44D9A-2B0A-40B5-8B2B-67F8B0F213F9.jpeg

@W7Ford
strange thing is, the decals are almost the same - but who in his right mind would copy decals just almost an change the expert to elite . ?
Here is a detail shot, including the seat post lug.

thanks for the insight, any idea what else it could be?

The decals shown were on an alloy Scott bike from the late '90s, so wrong on so many levels. I guess it's a decal cock-up, somebody happened to have this set and simply sticked them on.

Frame look quite generic, I suppose it's not exotic tubing either. Weight data would help, if it's under 2 kg or so, then it's nice tubing, if more like 2.3-2-4, it's made of only run-of-the-mill double butted stuff. Due to having a canti holder i'd date it pre '96. Laid-back geo also suggests low-mid range modell.

The decals shown were on an alloy Scott bike from the late '90s, so wrong on so many levels. I guess it's a decal cock-up, somebody happened to have this set and simply sticked them on.

Frame look quite generic, I suppose it's not exotic tubing either. Weight data would help, if it's under 2 kg or so, then it's nice tubing, if more like 2.3-2-4, it's made of only run-of-the-mill double butted stuff. Due to having a canti holder i'd date it pre '96. Laid-back geo also suggests low-mid range modell.
Relaxed geo. …. So THAT is why I like the ride so much. Must be me getting old :oops:
unfortunately I did not weigh the frame. The finished bike is 11.3 kg

thank you for the great advice!

Back