Weinmann brake question.

SirLurkalot

Old School Hero
This is possibly a really dumb question.

I started bolting the Galaxy parts onto my Clements Frameset. All was going well until I got to the back of the bike.

The Dawes has Weinmann Vainqueur 610 and 750 centre pull brakes. The front is fine but the rear brake bridge seems closer to the wheel so the brake arms are too long and won't make contact to the rim.
My question is, is there a shorter Weinmann rear brake or can I use a 610 front brake?

The brakes front and rear are identical in design, whatever the drop. The fixing bolt just pushes out to make them interchangeable.

It's reignited a question which I've always wanted to ask .......
why did manufacturers, esp British ones - Raleigh, Carlton, Dawes to name a few, have a 610 drop on the forks and a 750 drop on the rear? Were they assuming riders would want a fatter tyre on the rear, and thus needed more clearance?

It would seem that all the Wienmann brake pairs on ebay are a 610 and 750 combination. Maybe it was for fitting mudguards?

I measured the rear brake mounts on both frames and there is a one inch difference. Rather annoyingly I can't fit the rear mudguard either as it's hard against the wheel so I'll have to go without.

It would seem that all the Wienmann brake pairs on ebay are a 610 and 750 combination. Maybe it was for fitting mudguards?

I measured the rear brake mounts on both frames and there is a one inch difference. Rather annoyingly I can't fit the rear mudguard either as it's hard against the wheel so I'll have to go without.
You may need to rethink things. If the rear won't accommodate a mudguard, it's unlikely that even the 610 brake will fit.
A modern race bike has a nominal 45 drop and is designed to be ridden without mudguards, but even then some have managed to accommodate them.
A modern training or light touring bike is built with a 57 drop and is built to allow the fitting of guards with up to a 28mm tyre.
Either - if your frame is too close for mudguards, then it'll be too close to use the 61 drop brake, or you've not assessed properly and it should take guards and the 61 drop brake or you're using massive, fat section tyres

Latest posts

Back