Vitus Frame identification and suitability

Kodiak417

Retro Newbie
Hello,
First, thank you in advance for your time and help.
Recently I was given an old Vitus bike. I would provide pictures to assist you but apparently I need to amass several posts to legitimize myself before I'm allowed to upload photos. So be it. The top tube has the word Vitus decal along with three road bike cyclists, the number 3 and the words Carbone Kevlar. The head tube has a decal which reads Vitus Plus. The right fork has a decal which reads Vitus, 979, Dural, all aluminum. I suspect that the frame is old.I wrote to Vitus. They responded that their Firm had change ownership several years ago and all historical data has been eradicated. They recommended I reach out to this Forum. My questions are two: 1) I would sincerely appreciate any information or history that you can provide me about this bike. Anything at all. 2) And more importantly, is this frame appropriate for my weight. It appears by the bike decals that the frame / front forks are made using carbon fiber, Kevlar, and aluminum, depending upon the specific frame area. My current bike is an old (1973) steel frame Paramount. I have steered clear of other bike frame materials because I’m fat….270 pounds. I know that some bike frames will not support fat people like me. Before I go to the work and expense of restoring / modifying / upgrading this frame with more modern gearing / components, I need to know if the base frame will support my lard butt? OK, three questions. Is there a location where a serial number is stamped that would provide me with the year and month of manufacture?

Again, I'm sorry that I am unable to share 2 or three photos with you to assist me and I sincerely do appreciate any guidance and time you might provide.

Sincerely,
Dennis

The 979 is an absolute classic in my view.

Loads about Vitus here:
https://djcatnap.com/vitus-979-restoration/
https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2016/ ... s-979.html

I would be riding a steel frame with 36 spoke wheels until you have lost some weight. While the bonded joints of the 979 are excellent, it's still a 30 year old aluminium frame and perhaps needs to be treated gently.

Steel has an infinite fatigue life; aluminium does not and in time ANY aluminoum frame will fatigue and crack. Stressing it more heavily will accelerate the process.

Thank you very much for your reply. OK, I'll continue to ride my Paramount for a while longer. Would you guess that I should be around 220 pounds before considering the Vitus frame as an option? Also, is there a way for me to tell when it was manufactured? a Serial number perhaps somewhere? Thank you again.

Sounds like it might be a nice bike. If it’s what it sounds like from the decals, it’s a frame with alloy lugs and bonded carbon/Kevlar tubes. It has an alloy fork. This bike followed the Vitus 979 which was all bonded aluminium. There’s a chance they continued using the same serial numbering convention, which is described here: https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... hp?t=90230 the number is under the bottom bracket shell.

I had a couple of 979s a few years ago and they’re lovely bikes to ride. They are quite flexible though, especially the forks and rear triangle which I think are the same on the later carbone models. I’m only 65kg and I could make mine flex quite alarmingly if you’d never seen a bike do that before.

Re:

was not recommended for riders over 180 lbs.
That's a quote from one of Hamster's links, And that's the original aluminium version of this frame they are talking about, not the carbon fibre one.

My advice is to hang the bike on the wall, look at it, and tell yourself: "When I weigh no more than eight times what that thing weighs, that'll be the time to think about going for a ride on it."

If that's the case, I should just sell it. I haven't weighed less than 180 lbs since 10th grade. Football, wrestling, military Spec Ops then retirement. 180 lbs just isn't going to happen. Thanx.

Back