Vitus 979 Build - Revisited

mdvineng":2ky164h1 said:
if you want to part with the 310 headset, I may be interested depending on the usual.

You're about the 10th person to express an interest. :D

The 310 is currently installed on my Corsa which is scheduled for a refurb when the Vitus is back on the roads. The headset (along with a few other surplus SSC goodies) may be available at that stage as I have other plans for that frame.

The 305 will be kept as I don't want to break up the groupset.

I thought I'd updated this but my last post appears to have gone missing. :roll:

So the Vitus is complete and is fit for the roads.
I'm really not sure that the Criterium bars suit me but I'll give them a few more miles before making a final decision.
I'll also be on the lookout for a suitable 50T outer chainring as there's too much of a difference between 39 and 53 for my tastes.

Initial impressions?
Light, agile, comfortable and responsive.
This one is going to get a lot of road miles over the coming season. :cool:

Here she is...
I'll make a point of finding somewhere nice for a proper photo shoot.
Vitus-979.jpg

Re:

Looks great. Hope you get plenty of use out of it. I have a set of Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64-42 bars which came with the Chorus groupset I used. You are more then welcome to them in return for the decals as I wont use them.
PM me if you want interested and I can photo them, tidy them up a bit as there is old tape still on them.

Nice to meet you today Martin and thanks again for the bars.
As soon as you left my 2 year old daughter grabbed them by the drops like a pro and made a bee line for her tricycle. :)
I'll get them fitted over the next few days.

Since the last pic the 979 has been properly adjusted to my measurements.
I also found a good colour match for the blue anodised finish for some minor touch-ups.
Found it in my sisters nail varnish collection. :)

Hi Martin,wanna find out if u fix a French treaded velo Orange headset or ISO velo Orange headset?i m also having a vitus 979,currently building it.
Regards
Julian

Hi Julian,

I used a French threaded Velo Orange headset to suit my forks.
However, some frames have French threads and some have English threads.

You can tell which you need as the French threads have a flat section at the rear of the threads to locate the washer while English threads have a slot to locate the washer.

Hope that helps.

Hi martin,thanks for info.my fork is d same as yrs(original vitus 979),so i guess i ll get d french velo orange also.

Re:

That is a very tidy looking bike you have there. Nice colour-matching :cool:

Interesting about the smaller stem diameter too. I'm building up a Gitane, and found that the Cinelli stem I put in was tighter than normal.
Also discovered today that the Mavic brakes you have are re-branded Sachs ones that I've got.
As for the starfish chainset, mine was pretty tatty when I got it, so a lot of wet and dry, plus polishing to get it up to scratch.

Anyway, I digress, hope you have many happy miles on your one ;)

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2ndh6hm3 said:
Also discovered today that the Mavic brakes you have are re-branded Sachs ones that I've got.

Thanks for the kind comments. :cool:

AFAIK the brakes were actually made by Modolo (SLK) but were rebranded for use in both the Mavic SSC and Sachs New Success groups. So there's at least three variations. I think there were minor differences, eg: brake shoes.

Re:

Yes I did wonder why there were both Sachs and Modolo emblems on the calipers.
Feel like they have very strong springs on them.

Mike

Back