Vintage MTB "Seat Shifter" - ebay.co.uk

one-eyed_jim

Old School Grand Master
New one on me!

Looks like you can shift your seat fore and aft on the fly.

Why? Why not?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Having done a bit of googling, it looks like this was actually intended for triathlon and ultramarathon use, giving a forward aero position, and a selection of more relaxed positions for climbing. The shift lever would be installed on an aero bar.

Here's one in situ:

"Steep angled seat tubed bikes will be non-existent, as will LeMondesque shallow angled seat tubed bikes. In fact, seat tube angle will become largely unimportant as riders adopt systems for altering their seat positions and effective seat angles while riding. Virtually everyone will utilize a system such as the brand new Seat Shifter (an American product from San Carlos, California), which allows the rider to choose four different positions of the saddle in relation to the bottom bracket via a small handlebar mounted lever. "

Some early MTBs had a qr under there for on the fly adjustment

I guess for a climbing position and flat position?

Modern trail MTBs have gone steep seat angles, this is great for steel climbs winch and plummet riding, but not great for xc

The ability to reduce the SA for xc comfort via a qr or lever is the next big this I tell you

Back