Very basic question - modern components on a vintage frame?

Re: Re:

markoneswift":gw72apos said:
Very nice, Peachy! I should look into these 1 x drive trains I think. Having 2 or 3 rings up front has always seemed overkill lol.

Cheers, although I did laugh when my lad nearly lost his balance when he first tried pulling away in 1st... he wasn’t prepared for just how low a 46t gear is! :LOL:

Back to your original question though, of course not everything was a simple swap & my lads Pace had already been adapted for discs in ‘98 so can hang ‘modern’ disc callipers, but most modern threaded BB cranks will fit most BB from the 1950’s to present day, most modern V-brakes fit pretty much any frame or fork with Canti hangers from the 1970’s.
26” wheels aren’t dead but if you want quality you’re more likely to be buying them (as VGC or NOS) here or on eBay rather than in a bike shop.
The biggest issue will be getting a wheel set with a free hub to fit a modern cassette (which is why I went for the Stan’s on Hope pro hubs, (circa 2008-14) again these are 2nd hand so not a ‘new’ purchase) of course the other issue is rear spacing, the older the frame the less likely to be wide enough to fit modern cassettes.
All in all if you want to RetroMod with high end you’re going to have to muck about a bit, but as has already been said, there is plenty of brand new lower level kit that would bolt straight on pretty much anything...

Back