Very basic question - modern components on a vintage frame?

markoneswift

Dirt Disciple
Hey all,

I started a post ages ago about my Schwinn High Sierra find but life got in the way and the project got shelved. Anyway, fast forward to now and I've dragged it out of the shed for another look.

My very basic question is, generally speaking, is it possible to replace older components with newer ones to keep the vintage look and feel of the old High Sierra frame? I believe I have the Deore Biopace set on mine and the shifters are rusted out / broken, so I'm looking to modernise. I will keep the roller cam brakes because I love the look of them but otherwise a new seat / post, bars etc are all fair game.

Any advice on this plan of action, for a total newbie?

Cheers all.

Re:

Yep, should be pretty simple, there’s just a couple of things to remember though eg. Get the right brake levers to suit the cable pull for the rollercam brakes, and the right bar/stem diameter.
Many things have changed, but you’d be surprised at what is still much the same as when your bike was new.

Re:

Awesome mate. I just realised I have an old GT Palomar in the shed so I might have a look at robbing the drive train off that for now as a learning exercise !

Very common these days yeah. You can get v wide teeth spread on 10 speed cassettes which will go on there. Buying a newer mech with a clutch will make any 1x10 drivetrain feel solid and you'll never hear it, nor drop your chain. One step further - get a narrow wide chainring, where alternative teeth are different widths to better engage with the chain.

Re:

Choice is getting a little more limited when retromodding old MTB framesets using modern components.
This is due to a whole load of new 'standards' that the bike industry has introduced and pursued to varying degrees.

For example wheels have almost exclusively moved to boost axle spacing and 27.5" or 29" sizes.
This in turn means freehub bodies and interfaces have been altered along with chainline standards.

As ever there have been several evolutionary dead ends though.

There are still options which can work, but Shimano for example only support older standards at the lower end of their component offerings if at all.

Mountain bikes have moved on a lot in just the past ten years after a long period of relatively slow and incremental changes.

The same is becoming true of road bikes now that disc brakes are becoming the norm.

Re:

I guess maybe obtaining a cheap old bike with a decent component set might be an option then, rather than buying brand new. I had a look at my old GT but I don't think that will work because the brake levers and shifters are integrated. On the Schwinn I have Dia Compe brake levers that I would to retain.

Attachments

• Pace (1a).jpg
    Pace (1a).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 743
Re:

Very nice, Peachy! I should look into these 1 x drive trains I think. Having 2 or 3 rings up front has always seemed overkill lol.

Re:

Love the look of that Peachy :cool:

Like with Classic Car parts, I can see an expansion of the cottage industry of vectorising old NOS parts and remaking them with 3D printing technology. Will it incur licensing fees on top though ? Also modified classic pieces or new components could be designed to upgrade our classic rigs. Sadly age withers us all but it would be wonderful for a new trend of interest in classic bikes due to the above.

Back