V brake callipers not enough clearance from fork arch - help

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Im Having difficulty mounting brakes on these forks - there doesn’t seem to be enough clearance between the fork arch and the callipers as shown.
The pad mount can’t go any further not allowing the callipers to widen. I think I’ll need another 2-2mm of clearance. As shown on 1st picture loosening the boss allows clearance
Am I doing something wrong or lacking something?
0EFA3C78-3D25-4B96-93C0-5B1F38B8C1B1.jpeg 59AA7B91-7CB7-4C70-9953-F36FAE48537E.jpeg

Indeed, FBII.

It's the parallel push mechanism which is the problem - it needs more depth than most.
Possible solutions:
1 Swap to Avids or late Shimanos which omit the parallel push stuff (which adds nothing except screeching sound effects). Avid 25 work every bit as well and are lighter.
2 Fit washers behind the brake studs, but ONLY if you have AT LEAST 6 complete threads inside the fork. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
3 Other studs with longer setback between the brake pivot and the thread may be available.

That's a pain Ibbz. Swapping for avids is out as this is a replacement for your black OPS brakes.

Hamster's suggestion of other studs might be the way to go. I'll look through my box of bits and see what I can find. Or use the spacers but cautiously

Last edited:
Indeed, FBII.

It's the parallel push mechanism which is the problem - it needs more depth than most.
Possible solutions:
1 Swap to Avids or late Shimanos which omit the parallel push stuff (which adds nothing except screeching sound effects). Avid 25 work every bit as well and are lighter.
2 Fit washers behind the brake studs, but ONLY if you have AT LEAST 6 complete threads inside the fork. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
3 Other studs with longer setback between the brake pivot and the thread may be available.
Thanks man - you nailed it.
I put my Avid Black Ops back on and they have enough clearance - I changed them round as a part had broken - which I have replaced by getting a similar part out of some Avid 2.0 - sawing it down to the right size and filing it - fits nice and flush.
Thanks - I guess I won’t be able to use the M95x brakes but at least I have a temporary fix for the black ops until I get the part next month !

That's a pain Ibbz. Swapping for avids is out as this is a replacement for your black OPS brakes.

Hamster's suggestion of other studs might be the way to go. I'll look through my box of bits and see what I can find. Or use the spacers but cautiously
The black ops are back on!

If this is a dumb question, I apologise but do the brakes work when fitted? I ask only as I've had similar issues when the brakes aren't set up, but when they are connected it all works fine, just hits the arch when it's all loose with no tension?

If you space the brake further forward, do the locating pins go far enough into the brace holes?

If this is a dumb question, I apologise but do the brakes work when fitted? I ask only as I've had similar issues when the brakes aren't set up, but when they are connected it all works fine, just hits the arch when it's all loose with no tension?

If you space the brake further forward, do the locating pins go far enough into the brace holes?
These won’t hardly move at all - upon replacing them with the Avid the problem was solved

Back