Unknown year Airbourne Lucky Strike

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Just finished building this, apologies for the lack of build thread but this has been a long term one for me and it’s come together so slowly I was never motivated to start a thread..
As far as I know it’s a late 90’s frame, rim brake only and no serial number at all, I think that makes it an American built frame(?)
The last few bits came courtesy of a bike I broke for spares, it now has a 3x9 XTR drivetrain with 953 mech’s and shifters, XTR v-brakes and levers and 760 rear cassette.
I’ve only gone up and down the road so far but initial feelings are very good, it’s a super light Ti frame and now has the components to match.
Full spec and more pics to follow, any more info on this frame or Airbournes in general much appreciated.

Attachments

• 00F256E6-D32C-4AD8-B6AC-E53F754AFFC3.jpeg
    00F256E6-D32C-4AD8-B6AC-E53F754AFFC3.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,167
Probably much closer to year 2000 +/- 1 yr. The logo colours were meant for an XTR build.

I have three Airbournes and always on the look-out for them. One of the last classic 71/73 geometries IMHO; suspension
for 80mm travel - no more than 100mm and top-tubes just a little longer than Konas. The Lucky Strike was the high end
model that retailed at 800 USD for frame only.

While some were made in the USA, most are from China. I tend to think that early Airbournes had a metal head-tube badge and more classic looking drop-outs. Strange there is no serial number on your frame (it would be on the BB shell).

Airbourne were very early with on-line sales (too early perhaps?) and when they closed Van Nicholas bought the designs and know-how. The factory produces a brand called HiLITE that is very very close to some of the Airbournes http://www.cycleway.cn/hi-light-hm-i-titanium-mtb-frame much like the later Airbourne Black Widow.

EDIT: Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gujTVQO3s

In terms of quality, personally think they are extremely good value - for sure it's not going to be a Moots, but there are little details like welded bottle cage threads that you don't even get on high end Sandviks. I also like that the cables run under the top-tube which is very characteristic of Airbournes. On the lower end models however you do notice some lapses in QC and less precision.

Re:

Thanks for the details above, I now have a little more knowledge on these :).
I have never had a Ti mtb before but when this frame came up for sale locally I couldn’t resist - even if the frame cost more than most complete bikes which I own!
I agree with you regarding the quality - the tube shapes and neatness of assembly are truely stunning, and the ride quality is something else.
I intend to now put some miles on it and maintain/tweak things as necessary.
Cheers
Marc

I've got a 2002 Airborne Lancaster (note: there's no "U" in Airborne). Lovely bike that I bought c.2006 & fitted the Rebas & tubeless Mavic Crosstrails to. Converted to tubeless tyres after a year or so. Has 2 x 9 M760 XT with M950 r/m. Hope Mini's were my 1st experience of discs. Only 160 rotors so not that powerful. Ahead of its time in terms of tt length, I run a 70mm stem.
Picked up an immaculate 2001 Zeppelin road bike in 1st lockdown to go with it. Added some nice Pro-Lite wheels. Also lovely! Loving the flared 'bars.

Attachments

• beasts.jpg
    beasts.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • P5160008.JPG
    P5160008.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 1,026
Heres my 'it was way to small why did I even think it would ever fit' 2006 Black Widow (the King rear hub sounded like an angry wasp)

I woulkd say yours is much later at least 2004

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Re:

That black widow is stunning, love the detail at the top of the seatstays. Looks like you out some good components on that too, I’ve built bikes up knowing that they’re the wrong size too.. Hoping once they’re done that they’ll miraculously fit somehow.
I think sourcing parts and building them up is half the fun, need to have deep pockets or serious luck once you start doing bikes like these though!
Cheers for the interest anyhow.
Marc

I went full bullshit mode on mine - Chris King hubs, headset and Proshift mechs in red and those super rare Topline 94bcd cranks.

Never again!

Re:

I know what you mean! When I went to look at buying the frame I was in two minds - I knew in the back of my mind how much I was going to have to spend on everything else in order to do it justice..
Imagine the thread: here’s my Titanium Airborne with full Acera X groupset and Suntour forks off my Dads old Apollo...
But when you tot it up it’s still pretty good value really, I let my mate ride mine and I used his very tired Kona Caldera on a 15 mile ride last week.. He was blown away with the bike, you could spend more than I have at Evans or somewhere and get something else - which would be good - but you just don’t see bikes like this everyday and that’s worth something more than money, to me anyway.
I think it’s that last look before you shut the garage door - ‘I built that’, if that makes sense...

Quick update on this, the rockshox forks have moved over to my Santa Cruz Heckler and initially I fitted some Z2 bombers I had to the Airborne.. They weren’t quite right for the bike... but then these turned up.
Wasn’t sure what they’d look or perform like but gave them a try and I’m so happy with it now. What’s everybody thinking? I think they work colour wise and the ride is nice - like a rigid but a bit more forgiving, not noticeably heavier than the Bombers either. 8D841260-0685-493D-B4CA-4A24A3F274BB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back