Uniglide thread pitch?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anyone know what the thread pitch is for uniglide locking sprockets? I was just wondering if I can breath some life back into an old UG hub I have, using it as a single speed, but I'd need some sort of lockring, and other than using a UG threaded sprocket (which I don't have), is there anything else that is compatible?
It's a 'standard' UG thread, not a special 600ex, dura ace, or something else.

Thanks!

foz":26yb5eo5 said:
Does anyone know what the thread pitch is for uniglide locking sprockets? I was just wondering if I can breath some life back into an old UG hub I have, using it as a single speed, but I'd need some sort of lockring, and other than using a UG threaded sprocket (which I don't have), is there anything else that is compatible?
The pitch is 24 tpi, but the diameter is very slightly smaller than the 1.37" of a standard track sprocket or bottom bracket lockring. Shimano's DX MX66 cassette BMX hubs used a compatible lockring (I know because I've used Uniglide sprockets to turn one into a 3-speed) but you're unlikely to find one:

http://www.paul-lange.de/fileadmin/paul ... H-MX66.PDF

Perhaps your best option is to scour ebay or cycle jumbles for an old Uniglide cassette - or put a wanted ad in the classifieds here. Even if the threaded sprocket is worn out (as they often are) it will still work as a lockring.

Thanks! I meant to ask for diameter and pitch, not just pitch... do you know what the diameter actually is (for standard UG and also dura ace, 600ex, etc)? I haven't found any exact dimensions anywhere, the nearest I've come is that it is as you say, slightly smaller than 1.37. If it is a 'standard' thread (not a propietary one just for UG) then maybe there'll be something in my local machinery supply shop that might work... I guess that's wishful thinking though.

foz":1v0a3qbo said:
do you know what the diameter actually is (for standard UG and also dura ace, 600ex, etc)?
I had a note of both, but following a hard drive failure my notes are in disarray. As far as I recall, the threads were both 24 tpi, Dura Ace was 32mm diameter (to take an 11t sprocket) and everything else was 34mm or maybe 34.5mm. I don't think either would be a standard thread. When I tried to fit a track sprocket to a Uniglide hub there was very little thread engagement: the sprocket would thread on but was very loose.

OK, thanks for the info. doesn't sound promising for what I was hoping to do, but not to worry

Thanks, Andy

TheGreenRabbit":2b8y5uls said:
Try and get hold of a BB lock ring its the same thread
It's close, but not the same. Try threading a Uniglide sprocket onto a BSC bottom bracket cup: it won't go.

BB lockrings are the same as english threaded screw-on hubs, so will work as lockrings for track sprockets or ss sprockets on those, but UG is not the same. if only it were...

Back