Under-Chainstay U-Brake Solution?

I bought MBK Tracker Hi Tech 1989 frameset which has pivots for U-Brake under chainstay. And I have literally 0 experience with U-brakes, I googled some threads but it kinda looks like the only solution is BR-M731 or 733 which are pretty hard to find in EU (at least for reasonable price). Maybe I'm missing something?
The thing is that I need a reliable brake with good braking performance that would fit dth 2.15 tires or maybe Billy Bonkers 2.1. There are many BMX brakes (Dia Compe, Tektro etc) that actually fit chunky tires but it seems like these are not compatible with 17mm rims and some people say that BMX brakes have bad performance.
Soooo, any help?

Shimano made lower spec u-brakes too, right down to the Exage range. You should be able to find something in budget.

not an option at all - worse than xt, more expensive than xt and impossible to find outside US.
Depends which model. The good ones had external springs ((Suntour XC Cunningham), which work well and are easy to adjust. There just so happens to be a pair on eBay UK right now… 😉

Btw if anyone here has an experience with XT U-brakes I have a question - does it fit 2.1 tire with fenders?
I think I made panaracer smoke 2.1's fit on my Rockymountain Fusion BITD - just. I ran those old Mt. Zefal fenders on that bike too, but I think I ran those with slicks so can't vouch for the fit.

I have an old Kuwahara with a chain stay mounted ubrake that's whatever was the bottom end Shimano groupset in the late 80's? Deore?

Btw if anyone here has an experience with XT U-brakes I have a question - does it fit 2.1 tire with fenders?
A good number of the GT's in 1992 came with Panaracer Smoke 2.1s as catalogue spec, when they were still U-brake specced.

Fenders / mud guards - are you scared of a bit of dirt!

The mudguard doesn't have to go that far down. The chain stay bridge with the mudguard hole is above the u brake.

As for clearance, ive got 2.0 on my swallow, but its the frame, not the u brake that stops bigger tyres. As you can see the ubrake sticks out beyond the frame

20221019_182000.jpg 20221019_181926.jpg

Back