Tyres for 1950's / 60's Ted Gerrard racer

jheath

Retro Newbie
So I have a Ted Gerrard road bike with 27x1 1/4 wheels. I see from old adverts that it was probably sold with tubs back in the day. It's currently got some very heavy looking 30(ish)mm all black tyres with a light tread pattern.
So my question is, what lightweight tyres with tubes would be most authentic for this bike? Interested in getting the right look more that puncture proofing etc

Tubulars are (and were) sized at 700c which is smaller than 27". I would say that something with Tan walls in a 27" size would be OK.

27 x 1 1/4 inch wheels have a rim diameter of 630mm. Sprint wheels for tubs have a rim diameter of 622mm. So with tubs you will have 4mm more reach for the brake blocks. If your brake blocks will drop 4mm you will be able to fit sprint wheels but bear in mind your bottom braket height will drop with the smaller tyres and rims. Your bike may have originally come with 27x 1 1/4 inch wheels. Pictures will help.

So I have a Ted Gerrard road bike with 27x1 1/4 wheels. I see from old adverts that it was probably sold with tubs back in the day. It's currently got some very heavy looking 30(ish)mm all black tyres with a light tread pattern.
So my question is, what lightweight tyres with tubes would be most authentic for this bike? Interested in getting the right look more that puncture proofing etc

Schwalbe HS159 27 x 1 1/4 Gum Wall Tyre are decent.​

Back