Turquoise, Loopstays... 1992 Mongoose IBOC Team

When I owned one of these back in the day I had Manitou 1s. If I can get a good clean set of those then it will have a suspension fork again.

Re:

Hi Love the Goose, but please answer this

I know pictures can be disceptive but can those two dogs "Really" jump high enough to warrent a fence akin to one found as Stalag Luft 3 :D

B.T.W great use of an adjustable spanner :cool:

Attachments

• moongoose.jpg
    moongoose.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • mongrouse 1.jpg
    mongrouse 1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,048
Haha, their jumping abilities are limited to about chest height fortunately... Our yard backs onto an army base sports pitch so the big fences are to keep footballs, cricket balls etc on their side, although I've been here a month now and I'm yet to see anyone out there.

One day I'll take proper photos with something better than an old iPad and I'll find a better prop when the time comes, but the old 12" shifter did the job for these, haha.

Love your Iboc, huge fan of old 90's mongooses, right now I have an 1996 Iboc zero G that I just finished.

I just won this bike on ebay, still waiting for delivery, the description says it's 1 1/8 fork, and a 34.9mm seat post, but he's also listing it as a 17", and I'm seeing it only came in 16.5 and 18". Looking at catalog scans it seems to be a 1992 Iboc Pro but not much in the catalog for part sizes. So I was curious if you think those sizes are wrong, or if the two bikes are that different.

As far as building it up I have no idea yet, and I'm tempted to get it powder coated in chrome, not a fan of the blue. The pink/black combo is interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221504807567?ss ... 1497.l2649
$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ok, its definitely a Pro. Would have had a 1-1/8" steel fork, front derailleur is meant to be 34.9, if you run bottom pull then a pulley mounts behind the seat tube above the BB for the cable. BB is 68, axle length will depend on cranks (I tried some M730 cranks on this and they needed a much longer axle than the M900 ones). I have fitted a 31.6 seat post and it seems to fit perfectly, however the catalogue says the correct size is 31.2. The sizes are 15, 17, 19, 21" according to the size chart from the Dutch 1992 catalogue in the archive. My current one is a 19", yours probably is a 15 or 17"
Catalogue with specs here in archive

Could you post your serial number? I'm interested to see if there is any pattern in them.

I agree the pink/black scheme is pretty cool! If I had a pro and was refurbishing it, that's what I'd go with. There is a thread on here with one in fairly original condition in those colors. An original spec build with some cockpit upgrades is what I went for, that would be pretty achievable with the Pro's XT/Deore build.

The guy who has the fluro yellow Mongoose AMP and the purple IBOC comp might be able to supply you with art to get decals made, or you could take quality photos with measurements and have Gil_M draft and print new decals. Myself, I like refurbishing things in the original style or an original color option, but that's me.

m4.jpg

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

I must have saw the 16.5" on Bikepedia witch I know is often wrong so the 17" is probably right. Thanks for the decal info, I was thinking of doing it up on Illustrator and have them made up. I might change the decal colors, I'm not building to original spec, but probably an XT 738/9, thread less marzocchi fork, possibly a Z-1. My only issue is the Cantis vs V-brakes. I know a 92 should have cantis and the triangle top makes it tricky to get some kind of cable stop set up but I would prefer V's. Plus I don't know if Marzocchi's ever came with Canti setup. Guess I'll start looking!

I post the number when I get it, hopefully in the next few days.

I wouldn't put a long travel fork on it, head angle is already quite slack with a rigid fork, and I suspect it wouldn't be hard to crack the frame either. Frame is really optimised around a rigid or 50-63mm travel fork.

Cable stop will be fine, just use the current one on the top tube, left side. It would run outer housing to the canti brake stop mounted to the seat clamp, so just take off the bolt-on stop and run it straight to a V-brake

Re:

Im the guy with the Mongoose Amp in fluro and the Iboc TEAM ;) in candy purple.
I can sort you with editable decals I traced my self from photos. Gil did a great job in printing them.
But one thing. Don't go for a dark colour like the purple. White decals are hard to print, I had to simplify the white ones on the Purple Team so I could get the dye cut ones.

For funky powder coat colours go for www.powderbuythepound.com. They have a huuuuge selection of colours and are cheap as chips. You wont need more than a 1/2 pound. Then you can just take the powder to your local powdercoaters and have them do it :)

Cool! Well I'll get some rides on it and see how I feel about the patina...

Speaking of which it's only today that I've finally turned the tyres on dirt. Wasn't bad at all, singletrack handling is really good, it accelerates and climbs very well.
Takes a while to acclimatise to bunny-hops, drops, jumps etc with a rigid fork, it's very weird not to have the 'squash and pop' of suspension.
Smokes are still a good tyre 25 years down the track, I don't think any other design has hit the mark so well for so long (High Roller maybe, time will tell).

IBOCteamXTR.jpg~original

20150427_160125_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Definitely eyeing off acquiring a Manitou 1 soonish though. And a bigger front tyre.

Re:

cool looking bike, :cool:

who needs round tubing when you can have Triangular... of square tubes from Pace :D

BTW

has anyone used that field ^^^^^^ since last June/July ?

Latest posts

Back