Tubeless Tyres

Maybe look into slime smart tubes - Inner tube filled with the sealant basically.
They last longer, there is no zero mess or hassle and does exactly the same thing minus needing tubeless wheels & tyres which are expensive.

Not sure if people don't know they exist or aren't keen for some reason but they've been golden for me.

My understanding is that tubeless is not really about saving weight, but more about the tyre being allowed to conform directly to the surface as it rolls over. If you introduce any type of tube, the main advantage of tubeless is lost. You'd only be left with puncture resistance, which I suppose is a benefit, but when you're adding additional rotating mass in the form of tube and sealant together, theres quite a downside there.

Thats probably why they haven't seen much in terms of wide adoption.

My understanding is that tubeless is not really about saving weight, but more about the tyre being allowed to conform directly to the surface as it rolls over. If you introduce any type of tube, the main advantage of tubeless is lost. You'd only be left with puncture resistance, which I suppose is a benefit, but when you're adding additional rotating mass in the form of tube and sealant together, theres quite a downside there.

Thats probably why they haven't seen much in terms of wide adoption.
I use the slime filled tubes, or add muc off sealant to tubes on my commuter ebike, but I run them at high PSI and haven't had any punctures in a year. Tubeless off road makes sense as you can run at much lower pressures and not get pinch flats, but they are messy if you do get a serious flat and have to resort to stuffing a tube in while out on the trail. I still prefer using tubes myself.

I've been using riding to work as an excuse to ride my old bikes. To save hassle of punctures I'm using muc-off tube sealant (cheap from Aldi online). So far so good. Doesn't go off like tubeless sealant. For the hell of it just done my only tubeless ready wheelset & tyres. Muc-off sealant & tape & WTB valves with muc-off fittings (has an o-ring & thicker retaining ring with core remover in dust cap). Hopefully still be inflated in the morning!

IMG_20210731_225408_compress91.jpg

As an addition to my previous comments, I have recently discovered that the cheap slime filled tubes, from Wilko, seem to have an issue with the sealant drying in the valve, blocking the air inlet! Has anyone else seen this?
I removed the valve core, used a drill bit to clear the blockage, then fitted a new core.
Haven't had the same issue with the mucoff sealant, yet.

Eventually you'll get the same with any sealant.
I just have a little jar of spare valves and a tool and swap them whenever I remember. Keep an old drill bit in there too so I can run through the valve body at the same time.
The gummy valves I just clean with IPA whenever I remember, or notice I'm running low on clean ones. Also gives me the chance to bin bent ones, less of an issue now I don't have to deal with all the ex wifes bikes!

Back