Tubeless Tyres

I'm using muc-off sealant

I think I’ve spotted your issue 😂

Now for some actual advice. One loud pop when seating may not fully set the whole tyre. Keep going until 40-45psi there may well be more to come. Leave wheel to sit 10-15 minutes. If it goes down quickly it’s a sign there’s an air leak. A well taped rim and valve should last a couple of hours without sealant. If it’s going down with sealant added, chances are it’s just not reached the right places yet. Go for a half hour ride even just round town, this spreads the sealant around especially as the carcass flexes. I’ve had tyres go down overnight in the garage on first fitting only to miraculously seal on the first ride.
Also check your valve core is properly tightened.
It’s worth persevering. Slime tubes are no substitute. Heavy and still don’t allow you to run low pressures that tubeless do. Yes, they help with thorns or other sharp punctures but not snakebites. The extra traction and suppleness from a tubeless set up is just superior.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. What sealant do you recommend? My LBS sells Stans I think, I only got Muc-off because it was cheaper and could be added via the valve.

I’ve got muc off sealant in my gravel bike and sb140 build. It’s decent as it’s fairly thick so seals porous side walls well.

muc off valves have a rep for leaking.

I use Stans, but to be fair I haven’t any personal experience of MucOff. Have just seen some mixed reviews. It’s the thickness that causes problems getting the initial seal. I usually pick up Stans in the 2 pint bottle when it’s on special. Halfords seem to have it reduced every couple of years when I need it. Stans goes in through the valve as well. First bottle I bought had a free empty 60ml dose bottle with it but I also use 50ml syringes bought cheap off eBay.
You’re best not to mix brands so if you’ve used Muc off just stick to it until it needs replaced.

Patience is the key with a good set up. Don’t rush.

Orange seal is excellent
It’s the standard sealant I use in the workshop & have great results with it

hate muc off. Too thick and messy

stans is ok, doc blue is stans and so is giant tubeless

you can inject any sealant through pretty much any valve

the only exception I can think of is milk-it valves which have a different core in them

First few times I did it they stayed up no worries, last few have been less successful. Was they hold air they should be fine from then on as problems are usually to do with rim tape leaks and once sealed they stay that way. The sealant used makes a huge difference too as my success came with a recommended brand, my failures with a cheap bottle.

Defo worth it though. That reminds me, I was going to sort my new wheels out today......

Oh, and I bought a Zefal inflater after trying other methods. May as well have the right tools.

Hi all, just a quick update. I had some more sealant delivered today and I'm pleased to report that both tyres are now inflated and running tubeless!

Thanks for the all the advice it's been invaluable! Without your help I'd have given up and gone back to tubes.

Last edited:
Problem with Slime filled tubes - Butyl tube + Sealant=weight

I go for latex tubes - pretty much as light as tubeless, no mess, more puncture resistant than butyl, but porous so need topping up with air every week or so

How are the tyres holding up? And did you get more if the same sealant or something different?

They're still inflated but I haven't been able to ride them yet as the frame has been delayed again 😥.

It's due next week so fingers crossed 🤞

I added more muc-off in the end. Adding and then removing an innertube leaving the tyre seated on one side seemed to get the best results.

Back