Trek 950 Singletrack

K_50

Old School Hero
I picked this one up last year, intending to use it as a parts donor for another bike.

I ended up using some other parts for the other bike, and the Trek is actually pretty cool with the lugged, US built frame. Plus I needed something decent to ride at my summer house. So I made an Easter project out of it.
Stripped and washed:

New cables, Kojaks and Flite from the stash, 1x7 gearing:

Pretty good. But I wanted it to have more of a cruiser vibe, and to shorten the reach so my sister can use it as well.
The cheapest BMX stem, and MX bars I could find took care of that. I might upgrade those at some point, and I plan on adding a front rack for groceries. But the bike rides really well as is, so for now I'm calling it done:)

Well done!

Pretty sure if I'd propped my bike up like those last three pic's it would've ended up in the drink!:)

I was very careful! And the jetty provides a lot of shelter from the wind - It was quite windy yesterday, but inside of it you couldn't feel it.

Fun build, but you have V-brake levers and cantis.

I bet it goes better than it stops.

Isn't the purpose of the H/L screw to make them work with both systems? As in H (more leverage, less pull) for cantis, and L (less leverage, more pull for V's? In any case it stops just fine :)

Isn't the purpose of the H/L screw to make them work with both systems? As in H (more leverage, less pull) for cantis, and L (less leverage, more pull for V's? In any case it stops just fine :)

I'm 99% sure the settings are to tweak feel/modulation for v-brakes. I've used them with caliper and canti setups before - in both cases a firm feel at the lever but very little power irrespective of where the little screw is.

I'm 99% sure the settings are to tweak feel/modulation for v-brakes. I've used them with caliper and canti setups before - in both cases a firm feel at the lever but very little power irrespective of where the little screw is.
Makes sense.
Now that you mention it, the feel at the levers is a bit firmer than on my other bikes. But still, this one brakes just as well.

I have those brake levers and yes, they are v-brake specific, the bolt being just to play with the brake feel. According to Shimano, "low" for most situations, "high" for racing and the likes.

This is all personal taste of course, but I actually prefer the bike in the first picture, with all original and the mudguards/urban vibe...

Back