Top 5 Mountain Biking companies ever.

Re:

Can’t believe no one has popped for Selle Italia - without which, no retrobike is complete!

Marinovative.. without which no gamechanging V-brakes

Chris King - because - well, no explanation required

Magura - the first MTB brakes that actually worked

Hmmm.. and DT Swiss?

v-brakes had been around in previous decades

Chris King are just over priced and didnt really change anything or influence anyone

Cantilevers worked and hydraulic disc brakes have been available since the 70's, theres even hydraulic v-brakes if can find them, a decade before the MTB was popular

Schwinn's needed so much modification to be made usable! And they often broke which is why the rest is history...

legrandefromage":q7vnhrq2 said:

Chris King are just over priced and didnt really change anything or influence anyone

Cantilevers worked and hydraulic disc brakes have been available since the 70's, theres even hydraulic v-brakes if can find them, a decade before the MTB was popular

Schwinn's needed so much modification to be made usable! And they often broke which is why the rest is history...

V brakes before marinovative? INteresting.

Mountain biking started with modified Schwinns in northern California. If there is one brand that made everything possible even unwillingly is Schwinn. Next came Suntour, Shimano and Specialized.
I thought Marinovative sold the first V brake ever.

Prodigal Son":1brojwx4 said:
legrandefromage":1brojwx4 said:

Mountain biking started with modified Schwinns in northern California. If there is one brand that made everything possible even unwillingly is Schwinn. Next came Suntour, Shimano and Specialized.

Nah, MTB started with John Finley-Scott, Schwinn got their ideas from ze Germanz in the 1930's and theres a patent for the linear-pull brake sometime in the 1930s. Even the humble Dia-Compe Aheadset was way way before the MTB

And not one Klunker had the Schwinn brandname, not in the old pictures anyway. but you could always ask a certain Mr. C Kelly.

*1974 -ish Shimano hydraulic disc
Mid-70s-vintage-Shimano-hydraulic-disc-brakes.jpg

shimano_bc_200_1975.jpg

1975-shimano-disc-brakes.gif

legrandefromage":191c5gco said:
Prodigal Son":191c5gco said:
legrandefromage":191c5gco said:

Nah, MTB started with John Finley-Scott, Schwinn got their ideas from ze Germanz in the 1930's and theres a patent for the linear-pull brake sometime in the 1930s. Even the humble Dia-Compe Aheadset was way way before the MTB

And not one Klunker had the Schwinn brandname, not in the old pictures anyway. but you could always ask a certain Mr. C Kelly.

My pal in Hungary had a Swiss-made rear brake using the same method of V-brakes in 1995 on his spanking new OCLV 9900 TREK (not OEM stuff) :D . I don't know its name, but there were definitely other companies/inventors in the early '90s offering V-brakes if they weren't even called like this back then :cool:

My pal in Hungary had a Swiss-made rear brake using the same method of V-brakes in 1995 on his spanking new OCLV 9900 TREK (not OEM stuff) :D . I don't know its name, but there were definitely other companies/inventors in the early '90s offering V-brakes if they weren't even called like this back then :cool:[/quote]

Marinovative cheap trick is from 1991.

Latest posts

Back