Titan 1/2 Trac

27motorhead

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I wasn't looking for a bike and then a Titan 1/2 Trac appeared in the Retro mountain bikes thread on LFGSS. The poster mentioned he might have to sell it as it was too small and then heard nothing for a couple of months. Then @CTK posted that it was finally for sale on LFGSS... I did think it was too big and I'm not looking for a project, but this turned up today! 🤣😍

IMG_9864.JPG

Update please.
@Retro_Roy this one will be a slow build! It’s currently hanging up in the garage amongst other projects that I have yet to even start as well! ☹️ I bought this as they very rarely come up for sale in the UK so took the opportunity whilst it was there despite not quite having the time or space to complete easily.

I’m in the middle of reinstating our downstairs WC which is a top priority at the moment!

Been gathering a few bits in anticipation of finding some time to actually do something. Will take some pics soon to show condition & details of the frameset before I start to strip & clean.

Wow! sorry for the radio silence on this one. I have to be honest I've made no physical progress on the build, however I have now accrued most of the bits so will hopefully start to make some progress on it...

Why the 1/2 Trac?
I've always loved these bonkers looking frames with their strong BMX heritage combined with innovative features, agricultural detailing and hand built look, feel & finish.

I first saw one in the flesh (back in 1990?) when two Cardiff Uni students came cycling towards us as we were chatting on the side of the road. One was on a Yeti Ultimate and the other was on a Titan 1/2 Trac. These bikes were looked like high performance supercars vs. what we were riding and we were in complete awe over seeing such bikes that we'd only seen on the cover of MBA or in an exotica bike shoot-out in MBUK.

I also remember seeing photos of Jamie "freefall" Tatlow in MBUK getting up to mischief on his including that great shot of him mid-air before plummeting into the lake. I also loved that shot of Insane Wayne Crossdale bombing along on a Campagnolo equipped 1/2 Trac. What a combo - 1/2 Trac + Centaur!

rockcombo7-1.jpg bicparts2.jpg

Anyway enough chopsing as we say in Wales. Lots of photos below of the frameset before I start to strip it. These were taken back in early November last year. Slow progress indeed.

IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG
U-brake mounted inside the stays. Not sure we need the Sharks Tooth when it's fitted up there! :) Note the sleeved chainstays and seat tube. No wonder this frame weighs a ton! I wonder how much overlap they have? On a practical note the frameset comes complete with full set eyelets

IMG_0883.JPG
1" 1/4 Headset. Head tube has flared ends. I Haven't taken it apart so it might just be sleeved, but transition looks too smooth to be sleeved based on the detailing on the rest of the frame. No sign of any headtube badge/decal

IMG_0892.JPG
The remains of the Titan sticker on the stem. Not sure if this was original or had been taken off the frame and placed onto the stem?

IMG_0893.JPG
This seat tube collar screams 80s BMX!

IMG_0884.JPG
Love this detail! Split BB shell with pinch bolts to keep bearing in place. Note the open end of the downtube and the scored paint on the BB shell. This is because the front derailleur cable runs inside the tube and straight out the end and around the shell itself. Who needs a plastic cable guide?! 😜

IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
The frame is quite badly corroded in places, but I'm guessing from the sheer weight of this beast we won't have any issues rusted-through tubing. This ain't no skinny-walled Fat Chance!

IMG_0885.JPG
Got to love a red bearing seal! 😎

IMG_0894.JPG
Lovely period Strong seatpost and Specialized seat QR binder

IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG
Weird C-Star E.A.C hanger. Has some push-down detail on top. Don't know anything about these so if someone knows something about these please enlighten me. I might use it as it's weirdness matches the bike.

IMG_0901.JPG
Looks like we should be able to get this industrial Hammered finish to shine a little!

IMG_0903.JPG
This is the biggest stumbling block for any bike build. My garage!😱 ZERO floor space from too many things in too little a space. The 1/2 Trac can be seen hanging up in the middle of the pic.

Next up will be full strip-down and rust treatment of the frame. This paint is 100% staying as it has amazing patina and has no doubt seen some action.

Back