Tinkerers' Corner - Very Stubborn Crank Removal

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Not the first time I have done this. This was well and properly stuck due to a dry mount with massive (and successive?) overtightening, the axle was
almost at the edge of the crank taper. Of course, stripped extractor threads from a previous attempt (and owner).

I could have attempted using the visible 4 arms to serve as a puller, but that looked iffy so went for the no remorse immediate stress relief approach.

DSC01815.JPG

I let my last set go to a member on here, but I must get some more....

Attachments

• wedge.jpg
    wedge.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
I thought of something similar since I know that trick too. Part of the crank was actually inside the BB cup, so
it looked like an awkard space with too little area.

Aother option is this.......if you have deep pockets, have a total crank fetish and really want to use damaged cranks again:

Sometimes, it's easier to accept the crank is a gonna and re-purpose it for a door handle.

I thought of something similar since I know that trick too. Part of the crank was actually inside the BB cup, so
it looked like an awkard space with too little area.

Aother option is this.......if you have deep pockets, have a total crank fetish and really want to use damaged cranks again:

Sometimes, it's easier to accept the crank is a gonna and re-purpose it for a door handle.
It would have to be a very special crank to warrant that outlay...

Maybe some gentle ish heat to expand the alloy may of eased it's grip ♨️

May have.

I wanted to cut my losses and save the BB though at least, so heat was ruled out so not to bleed melted grease out of the bearings
in the sealed cartridge unit. Otherwise, I'm with you, normally I have a gentle non destructive approach to mechanics, but will
step to coercion if warrantied.

It never ceases to amaze me the elastic properties of AL. When it was cut, one tiny tap with a hammer and the crank was off.

May have.

I wanted to cut my losses and save the BB though at least, so heat was ruled out so not to bleed melted grease out of the bearings
in the sealed cartridge unit. Otherwise, I'm with you, normally I have a gentle non destructive approach to mechanics, but will
step to coercion if warrantied.

It never ceases to amaze me the elastic properties of AL. When it was cut, one tiny tap with a hammer and the crank was off.
Cutting it would of heated it up as well I had to do some drop links on a MX5 today grotty nuts that sockets don't fit GRINDER !!!

I like a challenge, but I don’t think I could buff that out! 😬🤣

Back