Through the years...

argonsixar

Retro Guru
I moved my collection today, to make way for some work, and I realised just how much things have changed when I was picking up each machine. These are just a few of my bikes and I really noticed the weight differences as I carried them upstairs. They range in age from1981 through to 2018 and are steel or carbon. I still love the steel ones but cant deny the carbon are bloody good to ride ! I dont keep the older ones period-correct but probably could if I dug deep enough in my parts bin. Also, you wont spot a groupset on the old ones. No one I knew ever had a groupset fitted to their machine back in the day. You fitted what you could afford at the time. Campag, suntour, mafac, weinman, SR, etc.

Attachments

• battaglinrb.jpg
    battaglinrb.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 866
  • argonrb.jpg
    argonrb.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 865
  • robertsrb.jpg
    robertsrb.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 865
  • waughrb.jpg
    waughrb.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 866
  • sixarrb.jpg
    sixarrb.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 867
The Joe Waugh low pro is wild! It's a shame TT bikes don't look that crazy any more!

Jonny69":3f0d5cxy said:
The Joe Waugh low pro is wild! It's a shame TT bikes don't look that crazy any more!
What happened to the front Wheel! Or is it camera trickery..

Nob":2blfkykl said:
Jonny69":2blfkykl said:

Maybe it's a wheel cover for the Carbon rim.

Nice selection of bikes through the years, whilst I find a steel frame aesthetically pleasing, like you say the modern carbon frames are lighter and stiffer.
Who knows, maybe in ten years time I'll find the Carbon frames of today just as aesthetically pleasing too.

Nob":3jqh9ixx said:
Jonny69":3jqh9ixx said:

The front wheel just has a wheel cover on it. I cant ride that lo pro for very long as its too low, but it feels fast !

Re:

I was riding the sixar in an evening ten the first time I got caught by a good rider for several minutes. Blew my mind when keith Harrod blasted past at 30mph with 2 miles to the turn. He caught me for a minute and put another minute into me. And I did a short 23.

No tri bars or other trick stuff was available at the time. :shock:

Back