Thomson

So I emailed Thomson and got this reply

We generally advise that components be replaced every 3-5 yrs based on usage as all metal is subject to fatigue, especially those with clamping pressure applied. Thermal expansion through the seasons and while in storage also affects the material (non climate controlled storage).

As the component is outside of the warranty time frame, I can only offer you a 50% discount off a replacement part (same model) through our webstore. We would just need you to send in the old part along with a copy of this email chain. Once received, the coupon code would be emailed to you. Coupons can not be used on clearance/refurbished items.

These stems are £70 and you're expected to change them 3-5 years! WHAT A JOKE

Product liability arse-covering at its finest. The parts are used in vigorous outdoor pursuits, but climate controlled storage is the only way to ensure they don't deteriorate . . .

We've always sold Thomson posts and stems.
To be fair, Thompson parts aren't that expensive, they are light, nicely made and generally last well.
We've seen plenty of faceplate cracked though (but never sold by us), although the owners rarely owned a Torque wrench, and had usually bought the stem second hand.

With cheaper stems, a torque wrench isn't necessary if you've got the feel.

Broken posts seem rarer - interesting to hear of these experiences🤔

A beautiful anodised Ringle Moby seatpost though... omg you don't want to be riding when that one goes.😱

I bought all my posts and stems brand new, and I have a few. My Garage is part of my house and doesn't really get cold. I think £80 is more than enough for a stem, I'm concerned about my other stems and seatposts now

Where did your post break? Can you send a pic?
It's always good to know where needs checking.

The heating/ cooling thing I've heard recently from a big us brand about a mysteriously broken carbon frame.
It sort of smells a little pseudoscientific to me.

The frame in question snapped in two whilst stored over winter in a shed🤣

Don't think my steel or ti bikes have done that yet🤔 maybe I should check

That's the steerer clamp on the fork?
If it was correctly torqued, then it's not acceptable unless it's from many years of hard use and a crash or 2.
I'm surprised there aren't stories of loss of control.

I would say that we cyclists expect components like stem, post, crank arms, frame, even bars to basically last forever (read 10y+) if not crashed.
If Thomson say "replace after 3-4 years" they should have made you aware of that at point of sale.
I think we will stop stocking their products now I've read that email🙄.
You could try asking for your money back?

I'm trying to think how to word my reply. They won't refund me because its 3 years old. I'm just shocked how dangerous it is. Thing is the bike it was on..... carbon stumpjumper FS... only went on light canal rides due to a knee injury. Sub standard components. All looks no go

As I understand it, legally the consumer product guarantee is with the vendor not the manufacturer.
If we get a faulty product back, we deal with it ourselves as retailer - we then have to chase the distributor for recompense - which is usually difficult.

So take it up with where you bought it. (I hope it's not us!)
You might need proof of purchase.

The product needs to be as one would expect it, unless informed otherwise.
If it says in big letters on the box "the best stem for up to 3 years cool riding" then you might be fawked.

And who expects a stem to only last 3 years?
If you fitted it yourself that might offer a getout clause. Depends if they want an argument, and you've got a torque wrench.

I would say ask citizens advice.
Good luck👍

Back