This is now so opposite to a 2021 modern bike

This is just to annoy LGF...

25 years apart, 2 lightweight 'medium' size xc race bikes...

with the front hubs inline;

Both have short travel forks, both have head angles around 70 degrees, both have gears that work, brakes that stop you, and the same range of gears.

The main difference is that I can buy spares for one and not the other :) and, obviously, they ride VERY differently.

Attachments

• comp4.jpg
    comp4.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 200
  • comp3.jpg
    comp3.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 200
  • Comp1.jpg
    Comp1.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 199
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 200
no annoyance here, it was just a comparison of what has changed and how quickly

the relative stability between 1991-ish and around 2015 where parts were just about interchangeable is rapidly being lost as new 'standards' become the norm.

but I am sure 26 wheels, 1.95 tires and 130mm stems will be back for 2025

Re:

Hmmmmm, although I agree that standards stayed reasonably stable for a good 20 years (1990-2010) I think the changing standards have not been a recent thing. Tapered steerers, bolt through axles and external bb's have been around for ages, 650b must be going on 10 years, 29er longer, disc brakes as old as our bikes and mainstream for 20 years, etc, etc..... You could still easily buy a full groupset that would fit a retro steed and every other part is available, including decent quality 26", 1 1/8th forks.

Stuff moves on, it always has.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1wuaxbd3 said:
Hmmmmm, although I agree that standards stayed reasonably stable for a good 20 years (1990-2010) I think the changing standards have not been a recent thing. Tapered steerers, bolt through axles and external bb's have been around for ages, 650b must be going on 10 years, 29er longer, disc brakes as old as our bikes and mainstream for 20 years, etc, etc..... You could still easily buy a full groupset that would fit a retro steed and every other part is available, including decent quality 26", 1 1/8th forks.

Stuff moves on, it always has.

None of that is what I have said or intended here, it was just a comparison with that Trek and my just-about-pre-Trek Fisher as to what is interchangeable between the two bikes which in this case, isnt much.

*and everything you've just listed wouldnt fit my Fisher either you silly billington

my point was that in 2015 lots of parts were still cross compatible but now many parts cant even be shared with a 2014 or 2015 bike

As a recycler and reuser of things and it sad to see.

Re:

Yeah, I can get on board with boost + changing freewheel standards certainly making thing more difficult when it comes to swapping parts. I'm looking for a new bike and have discounted some as they use outdated standards that I'd struggle to re-use. I tend to buy a new bike every now and then but swap frames more often so get your point.

Still always happened though. ;) :LOL:

and they still use the same shite saddle clamping setup.
Two dodgy rails, that wobble about and creak and need a fun twist and kind of magic to setup correctly.

We could do with some more standards there.

We could do with some more [saddle] standards there.
It'll come...Probably needs SRAM to buy a saddle company (Any bets on Fizik, anyone?), then they can make a proprietary design and force the change.

There's a few alternative systems knocking around that I can think of:
Pivotal, BMX and jump bikes mostly, where seat position is pretty irrelevant. It's secure and looks really clean and tidy, but no fore/aft and angle adjust is pretty coarse.

Then there's the small slew of completely incompatible beam-based ones that turned up several years ago, but failed to make much of a mark:
Ritchey Vector Evo:

SDG I-Beam:

Selle Italia Monolink:

Simpler would be the bolted onto the top of the seat post design as used by Cunningham:

And ultimately, the more extreme, fully welded in David Wrath-Sharman/Highpath solution:

Then they'll move on to pedal threads, grip diameters, outer cable and hose diameters... :?

All the best,

Attachments

• image-asset.jpeg
    image-asset.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 87
  • ritchey_vector_evo_streem_wingflex-jpg.1867328.jpg
    ritchey_vector_evo_streem_wingflex-jpg.1867328.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Selle Italia Monolink system clamp from rear.jpg
    Selle Italia Monolink system clamp from rear.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 86
  • SDG-I-Beam-Carbon-seatpost-4.jpg
    SDG-I-Beam-Carbon-seatpost-4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Highpath Big Blue.jpg
    Highpath Big Blue.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 87
And a different chain pitch for good measure..which will offer extra stiffness and power transfer. :facepalm:

Back