This has to be better than those massive rear cassettes

No rim brake version either
Rim brakes & 135mm rear end are certainly looking like a new retro watershed

Nope, properly geared front chainrings is the answer to getting low gears (with a decently high gear still) to avoid ridiculous dustbin lid cassettes.

The biggest cassette sprocket I use is a 32T, that's with a 33/50 on my gravel bike, on the touring machine I use a 23T inner c/ring and a 28 cassette, that gets me up a short 14% dig with loaded panniers and I'm almost 100kg.
I do use a 28/48T setup on my retro machine (stronglight 99 cranks) and so I can get away with a 26T big for all the rides I do on that bike as I don't cane it in the slightest.

Sram duo drive did this some eleventy years ago

1648878532364.png

And sturmey archer/ sunrace did a 3spd/ cassette hub
1648878789017.png

Attachments

• 1648878690896.png
    1648878690896.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
Both really heavy though but at least they're compatible with existing cassettes rather than a cassette that not one single other company uses

Sram duo drive did this some eleventy years ago

View attachment 615380

And sturmey archer/ sunrace did a 3spd/ cassette hub
View attachment 615383
That's what those were called, couldn't remember. Was searching for "hybrid drive" with no luck.

i thought it was theoretically a nice idea but in practice, it kind of combined the disadvantages of both systems--the weight of hub gearing and the gear redundancies of a 2x and 3x chainring gearing. Plus no cost offset on the price of hub gearing by elimination of the rear derailleur....

But i think one of the draws of this was that it made using a chain guard easier on transportation bikes

I found a Sturmey-Archer threaded driver in a box of bits when tidying my father's garage a few weeks back. I've been wondering about putting a multi-sprocket set on one of his 4-speed hubs just for giggles.

Back