Thermoplasticfantastic Scott Endorphin 1997

Magpiegifts":j320t805 said:
In that case, Mach 5's could well be what you are looking for then. Usually overlooked.

I might get some anyway as they don't tend to go for much and see how they look

Re:

Afternoon off today so a trip to York Hydrographics to see what hydro dipping is all about.....Was blown away with what they can do...So I now know what prep work I have to do and at what stage the paint needs to be at before they dip it. I have been doing a fair bit of sanding and filling over the last few days so the first high build coat went on this afternoon, I have a feeling this will be one of may as there are a fair few defects to cover :roll:

51029516066_d0501ebbfc_c.jpg

I've watched a ton of tube videos over the years of people Hydro dipping all sorts from parts of an AR15 assault rifles to Laptop covers

Definitely potential to be blown away here. A friend hydrodipped some forks once, it wasn't my cup of tea on that occasion, but I have to admit it was incredible!

out of interest what are you going for - Faux carbon fibre dip - or a cartoon character one

Re:

Going for the faux carbon (although from the samples they showed me it looks very realistic), was originally thinking the whole frame, but thought it would be too much, so was thinking of replicating the original paintwork with bits of carbon on the stays, top tube and also adding the down tube, but doing it better. Was thinking of doing the cable guides and dropouts in flouro yellow.

Re:

Afternoon off today so a trip to York Hydrographics to see what hydro dipping is all about.....Was blown away with what they can do...So I now know what prep work I have to do and at what stage the paint needs to be at before they dip it. I have been doing a fair bit of sanding and filling over the last few days so the first high build coat went on this afternoon, I have a feeling this will be one of may as there are a fair few defects to cover :roll:

51029516066_d0501ebbfc_c.jpg
Just caught up with this. Anymore details about the process and prep required?

Going an interesting route with the wheels...

51103082862_e5604d8a3e_c.jpg

Should complement the carbon dip on the frame.
Managed to get a front and rear but the rear has a rather large crack (which moves). I was aware of this when buying and it was reflected in the price. Having spent my youth repairing carbon I thought I'd give it a go.

51103218828_a618c62713_c.jpg

Had a bit of a poke around with a 30 gauge needle and the wheels seem to have a foam core with a Diolin and carbon covering, the Diolin did seem very dry and undersaturated with resin, so using a wider bore needle I injected epoxy along the fracture line underneath the Diolin and Carbon until it seeped through. This was allowed to cure which stabilised the crack and stopped any flex but I thought I'd go belt and braces and place a carbon patch over the area. The resin top coat was sanded until I got bare carbon and luckily in my carbon stores was a matching weave.

51103082867_6b44363bfe_c.jpg

I'll give this 48hrs to cure then blend in the edges before putting some more epoxy on the thinned edges and once the wheel is re lacquered it will not be an invisible repair but as close as I can get without sacrificing strength

Back