There is a Rockhopper under there, honest guv

It’s not often that a truing stand deserves a build thread of its own but I think in this case it’s a necessity.

Kinda feels like when some punk tried to rob crocodile dundee with a flick knife.

View attachment 592512

This!

You've done the forum a great service here already!

I'm not a retromod guy at all, but I'd be hard pressed to fault anything you've done with that bike. Execution is top-notch.

Congrats!

But yeah, like the rest of the nerds...

That truing stand! PHWOOOOAAARR!

Hey Richard,

Nice build! When you say,
Wheels: Rims were OK-ish especially for the price, but needed a fair bit of work to get them in shape.

Is it the truing that needed the extra work? I'm looking for a nice set of 26" wheels, the ones you used look a lot like the Mavic XC717s I have on one of my retro builds. What's your thoughts about them now - would you use them again?

Hey Richard,

Nice build! When you say,
Wheels: Rims were OK-ish especially for the price, but needed a fair bit of work to get them in shape.

Is it the truing that needed the extra work? I'm looking for a nice set of 26" wheels, the ones you used look a lot like the Mavic XC717s I have on one of my retro builds. What's your thoughts about them now - would you use them again?
Hello,
Without a massive amount of other options for 26" rim brake hoops they are a pretty solid option. The guys at Spa Cycles recommended them and I certainly haven't got any complaints. Each one has a bit of a hop at the seam which I put a fair bit of work into trying to eliminate, but I just couldn't get rid of it. Not massively uncommon though with a rim at this price point (£30).
Not sure if that helps? Richard

Back