The Unofficial Official Photography Thread...

I'm a longtime fan of Nikon, been using their stuff since before digital metering. Thus, 13 years ago, when my first son was born, the choice was easy. I knew the operating system, liked the lens, respected the sensor. download.jpeg images.jpeg
Even though I was familiar with the buttons, I read the manual several times, taking notes and spending hours fine tuning the programmable settings. I snapped thousands of excellent images, discovered it's strengths and weaknesses, became one with the instrument. Now those images are trapped on a hard drive somewhere in my basement, or burned onto a compact disk for which I no longer have a drive. Worse, the camera's battery has died, losing all of my settings.
I need to make a decision here. Do I invest the money in a new battery, as well as the time to re reread the manual and reprogram, in spite of its diminished connectivity? Do I embrace the new, and make the leap to a mirrorless Nikon, or (gasp!) some other kind? Or do I recognize the new reality, give up on the idea of a camera in itself, and just buy into the convenience of a phone camera? My phone is cheap junk, and it's pretty trashed, so I could probably use the upgrade...

My phone camera is rubbish and will only reproduce blue sky as white so I often carry my Sony compact with me too. I went to take a group picture last week and was met with hoots of derision and shouts of " I've still got one of them at home somewhere".
My vote says get a new battery for your Nikon and continue to enjoy it.

As of about 8 years ago, Nikon was still filing patents for smart phones. I wish we could get something like this, adding phone capabilities to a camera, instead of making a phone try to be a camera Nikon-Android.jpg

I'm a longtime fan of Nikon, been using their stuff since before digital metering. Thus, 13 years ago, when my first son was born, the choice was easy. I knew the operating system, liked the lens, respected the sensor.View attachment 756295View attachment 756294
Even though I was familiar with the buttons, I read the manual several times, taking notes and spending hours fine tuning the programmable settings. I snapped thousands of excellent images, discovered it's strengths and weaknesses, became one with the instrument. Now those images are trapped on a hard drive somewhere in my basement, or burned onto a compact disk for which I no longer have a drive. Worse, the camera's battery has died, losing all of my settings.
I need to make a decision here. Do I invest the money in a new battery, as well as the time to re reread the manual and reprogram, in spite of its diminished connectivity? Do I embrace the new, and make the leap to a mirrorless Nikon, or (gasp!) some other kind? Or do I recognize the new reality, give up on the idea of a camera in itself, and just buy into the convenience of a phone camera? My phone is cheap junk, and it's pretty trashed, so I could probably use the upgrade...
I just bought a used dslr Nikon (d3300) and am pretty happy with it. Things move on quickly in digital photography so in your place I would be tempted to buy something more recent. A camera is still better than a phone camera, I think.

Back