The rise & fall of U-Brakes (?)

I love u-brakes and rollercams. My first Raleigh had one under the chainstays. I loved the look but yeah it really clogged up with mud. The chainsuck tore the plastic coating off the Exage u-brake, taking it down to the metal underneath. I love the aesthetics of them and most of my old mtb's have them. Paul Brodie was still using them on the seat stays in 1992.
Here's a few of pics of some of mine that I had to hand....

u1.jpeg u2.jpg u3.jpg u4.jpeg u5.jpg u6.jpg u8.jpg u9.jpg u10.jpg u11.jpg

Some nice stuff in this thread. For ages I rode one of these and could never complain about the braking power.

1652109157095.png

The canti-bosses on the chainstay had to be repair welded twice and to avoid a third time I made my own brake booster. I think the power had as much to do with the hand full brake levers and the oversized brake cables. Can't remember if it was Deerhead or DX, but I do remember wrestling with it when it had to be serviced - there was like a magic and only small amount of space for the straddle cable.

I love u-brakes and rollercams. My first Raleigh had one under the chainstays. I loved the look but yeah it really clogged up with mud. The chainsuck tore the plastic coating off the Exage u-brake, taking it down to the metal underneath. I love the aesthetics of them and most of my old mtb's have them. Paul Brodie was still using them on the seat stays in 1992.
Here's a few of pics of some of mine that I had to hand....

View attachment 626214View attachment 626215View attachment 626216View attachment 626217View attachment 626218View attachment 626219View attachment 626220View attachment 626221View attachment 626222View attachment 626223

Sooooo many drool worthy little numbers!

Sooooo many drool worthy little numbers!

They’re definitely my weakness. Need a lotto win to get me some WTB’s though!

Big fan of u-brakes and rollercams here too. They are like that hot sauce commercial.
I put that sh*t on everything.

Exactly that Roy. I’ll see a bike that doesn’t really interest me and then I’ll spot the brake posts…….ooooh u-brake 😂

I've just picked up a non vintage BMX for the Lil Thundrrr which came equipped with u brakes of some sort. It amazes me how little braking force they generate. I need to learn how to optimize the setup before I let the kid take it to the track.View attachment 618982
My first BMX had the same type of rear brake (and a gyro), and all it was good for was gently slowing down/controlling speed. I was a scrawny kid, but I still managed to break the main cable in an effort to actually stop the bike. Fortunately that was 20+ years ago when even the cool kids had brakes on both wheels, so I got a summer's worth of practice in how to work the front only.
Looking at your setup I would suggest shortening the straddle cable. That should provide some more leverage at the brake arms.

I’ve got a couple of bikes with U brakes on the rear. This one being my daily/commuter. I’ve always found them easy to setup and nice strong brakes. Granted it’s not in the best position right near all the crud but it’s worked well so far!

Attachments

• 3788BF73-08F5-4A4D-8891-91CBCFED108A.jpeg
    3788BF73-08F5-4A4D-8891-91CBCFED108A.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2802CBDF-D683-43C9-9BFC-5B3857AF23E5.jpeg
    2802CBDF-D683-43C9-9BFC-5B3857AF23E5.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 13
Back