The MS Racing/alpinestars story.

Oh my goodness. This was awesome to read. I am the daughter of Jim Phillips. So the people you mentioned here were names I grew up hearing as a young girl. I've met Bernie several times, and he was always so kind to me. The rider I remember the most was Tinker Juarez. He only rode for Alpinestars for a very short time. But he was a hero in my 12 year old eyes. My husband and I race mountain/road/gravel/tandem now, and have raced with Tinker Juarez on a few occasions! Cycling is such a huge part of my life, and the seed was planted when I was a little girl watching my hero, my father working at Alpinestars. He loved that company, and we have so many memories during that time.

Sadly my dad unexpectedly passed away in January. It has been a devastating blow. He was so healthy, and truly the best grandfather anyone could ask for. The grief has been overwhelming, yet I remind myself that I'm lucky it is so hard. It hurts so bad because we loved him so much.

Anyway, thank you for giving me the chance to walk down memory lane. Alpinestars was a gift to my family. View attachment 560320
So sorry for your loss, difficult times I’m sure.

Wonderful to hear your alpinestars story and the great times you enjoyed. The picture of you and your Dad is brilliant, really takes me back to that era, especially the motocross shirts that many of us wore.

Take care and thanks for sharing your story.

Only just found this thread,outstanding work sinnett177!Great write up,plenty of pics too,ideal. So much I didn't know,also a lot of models I wasn't even aware of.Absolutely love my Cro-Mega,and the variety of design/innovation of AS.
And sorry to hear about your father @brihoopes ,really nice that you ended up here,the photos are fantastic.Perfect addition to the thread.I'm sure it was a pleasant surprise to find it.

Hi I own an 89 MS racing CompXT but it is a complete Mountain LX build
All original including the tires, sadly they are too deteriorated to ride on
Interested to see how this XT build is a Mountain LX also an 89 only groupo I believe
Anyway thanks for the very intesting and informative thread !

Only just found this thread,outstanding work sinnett177!Great write up,plenty of pics too,ideal. So much I didn't know,also a lot of models I wasn't even aware of.Absolutely love my Cro-Mega,and the variety of design/innovation of AS.
And sorry to hear about your father @brihoopes ,really nice that you ended up here,the photos are fantastic.Perfect addition to the thread.I'm sure it was a pleasant surprise to find it.
It was such a pleasant surprise. Thank you for your kind words.

Hi all, just joined Retrobike, this is amazing great work 🙌🏻. I've searched high and low for more info on Alpine Stars, as i'm a huge fan and this is awesome. I know this is a ridiculous question. But my holy grail bike since i was around 12 was the Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX 1990 the yellow fluorescent one (pre e-stay) but i also love the black XT but my heart was always with the DX. I've bid on two or three over the years on e-bay but have either been outbid or buyer has decided to keep it. If anyone has one they want to sell i would desperately love to buy it and i would cherish it till the day i die. Also i'm still trying to navigate the sight, but if anyone can point in the direction of where i could post this to be seen by more people as a wanted ad etc, please let me know i would hugely appreciate it.

Hi all, just joined Retrobike, this is amazing great work 🙌🏻. I've searched high and low for more info on Alpine Stars, as i'm a huge fan and this is awesome. I know this is a ridiculous question. But my holy grail bike since i was around 12 was the Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX 1990 the yellow fluorescent one (pre e-stay) but i also love the black XT but my heart was always with the DX. I've bid on two or three over the years on e-bay but have either been outbid or buyer has decided to keep it. If anyone has one they want to sell i would desperately love to buy it and i would cherish it till the day i die. Also i'm still trying to navigate the sight, but if anyone can point in the direction of where i could post this to be seen by more people as a wanted ad etc, please let me know i would hugely appreciate it.

You can post a thread in this section of the forum:

Hopefully someone will then offer you one when they are selling ... just be prepared to be a little patient.

Hi I own an 89 MS racing CompXT but it is a complete Mountain LX build
All original including the tires, sadly they are too deteriorated to ride on
Interested to see how this XT build is a Mountain LX also an 89 only groupo I believe
Anyway thanks for the very intesting and informative thread !
Hey Geoff - funny, I live just over in New West and picked up a Pro Comp XT as a parts bike. Mine is all Deore DX. I never heard of the brand until I bought this one. The owner said it was special and rare so I Googled the brand and found this history.

Last edited:
@sinnett177 thanks for posting this fascinating history. The 89 MS Racing and 90 Alpinestars range was poster material on my wall as a kid. I loved the graphics and overall look.
I would love an 89 Pro Comp XT.

One question - what's with the U-brakes? The bikes in the 89 catalogue / promotional adverts had U-Brakes fitted, but it looks from all the other photo's that the production bikes had cantilevers fitted?

1651815273441.png

Back