The justification game

I don't really have this issue...
We have a sun room out the front of the house...that is taken up with my partner's old Tri bike set up on the turbo trainer.
The kitchen where the table would be, that is where her current Tri bike lives.
Then we have a spare room that is full of my bikes, plus her gravel bike and old road bike.

So it's all good.

Once or even sometimes twice a year I will do an actual legit “commission” usually graphic copying or light restoration where a frame is sent to my home address.
This is the perfect cover for all the other fake commissions that I take on that year 😁

This time of year is perfect cover for the arrival of “Christmas shopping”. I struggle with this ruse when a seller sends something in an actual bike box though.

To be fair my wife is a diamond when it comes to my bikes. She doesn’t really understand it other than it’s probably a hereditary condition I can’t be cured of - both Dad and Grandad are/were collectors/hoarders. I get ribbed occasionally about it taking up most of the garage, but it’s my only vice, it keeps me sane and she knows it. Last time we moved I sold enough stuff to put a decent chunk towards the move which was a huge plus for the ongoing existence of the stash!

What makes me smile is that all you lot think you are 'getting away' with all this.

You are dealing with woman, someone who can remember exactly what each of you had for breakfast, lunch and dinner in that grotty little hotel in Costa del wotsit, way back in 1997...

And you think you can fool her by having two grey bikes that look similar...

Oh you poor poor deluded fools...🤣🤣🤣

My mountain bike friends have said something similar. One of them suggested that one day the missus will casually reel off the exact specs of one of my bikes making it abundantly clear she knows exactly what I've been buying 🤣

Her stash of clothing I haven't got a scooby doo about it. Stuff comes into the house, most of it looks exactly the same as the rest of her stuff, and she claims it all gets returned - yet the bedroom and attic resembles a jumble sale.

Her memory is certainly formidable. I was struggling to find a remote for some piece of equipment I hadn't used in a decade - showed her a picture of it online and she pointed out the box it was in within a minute.

I have several mates (names redacted to protect the innocent), who have their new bikes delivered to work......then move them home to the shed in bits!

But, thats a different issue.....what i need is proper excuses for purchases. Some solid gold ones.

I have tried " well if this bike gets me out more, i will get fitter and look better naked".

Guess how far that got me....

Back