The Cycle Show, ITV4, 05/08/2014

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just wondered if anyone saw the modern vs. 1950s vs. 1910s road bike segment on last night's show? The 50s Cinelli with its 531 frame acquitted itself well - not that much slower than the Specialized Venge and Michael Hutchinson, whilst admitting that the transmission had its shortcomings, was very impressed by the comfort factor. Encouraging stuff for us steel fans. :)

David

Re:

Yeah, but we kind of knew that anyway. :mrgreen:

I recognised the 1914 Hirondelle immediately, as I have just started reading Tim Moore's latest book (and so far it is excellent, as expected).

Ooo, that sounds great. I've got it recorded and I'm looking forward to it now!

My main observations with old vs new are the riding positions. You sit much further back on older bikes (particularly 1940's and earlier) and there isn't as much drop on them from the saddle to the bars. It can make getting into a good aero position tricky. I ride and compete on a 1990s Raleigh and I very much doubt I'd be any faster on a modern bike. The only differences might be in the speed and ease of shifting because I've got downtube shifters, and maybe wheels that don't have 36 spokes, but the rest of it... really isn't going to make any difference.

I was speaking to a bloke at the first pub stop on the Dunwich Dynamo who said he was filming for the cycle show. He told me to say somethign funny but I couldn't think of anything on the spot. Then I saw him on TV and it was Matt Barbet - thought he looked familiar :D

Re:

The main thing between the modern and not quite so modern was weight, stiffess and most of all the large number of cogs at the back so you don't have that, I want the gear inbetween felling.

Re:

An interesting feature - and actually a good show overall. I really like the fact that it's not dumbed down and enjoy the mixture of technical, social and gadget type features. Good on ITV.

It was nice to see a 531 Cinelli bike featured and it seemed to me that all the criticisms levelled at it would have been addressed by picking a very similar steel bike from a little later on, e.g. at the pinnacle of the 1980's just before everything went wrong ;-)

Looking forward to the rest of the series...

Re: Re:

S1m0nR":1s6jgeju said:
An interesting feature - and actually a good show overall. I really like the fact that it's not dumbed down and enjoy the mixture of technical, social and gadget type features. Good on ITV.

It was nice to see a 531 Cinelli bike featured and it seemed to me that all the criticisms levelled at it would have been addressed by picking a very similar steel bike from a little later on, e.g. at the pinnacle of the 1980's just before everything went wrong ;-)

Looking forward to the rest of the series...

The format did need a bit of a tweak initially - when series 1 started each edition was only 30 minutes long (including ad break) which didn't leave a lot of time to fit things in - but ITV responded well to viewer feedback and it's developed into a good show. It's not trying to be "Top Gear with bikes", which can only be a good thing.

David

Back