The big sales slowdown

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I know its a subject that goes round and round.....but, I can help noticing that sales on the forum seem to be slowing up quite considerably and prices (especially of bread and butter kit) falling.

Im interested as whether this is solely down to finances or a a change in trends again or a mix of both.

The news that Wiggle crc have gone into administration and evans recording a 5+ million loss, point towards a down turn in cycling.....or is it the growth of the ebike!

Ive certainly noticed the odds and sods I sell slowing down and prices dropping, but, I've also noticed a gear shift in the era of parts people seem interested in......frankly towards the end of our 1997 cut off. Ok prices are not as low as 5 odd years ago, but I think that may come as the ebay chancers slowly get board relisting for the 3000 time🤣.

For my money, I think its a mix of tough economic times with less disposable income, blended with a downturn in general interest (following the massive boom over lockdown when everybody got their old bike out and thought they were 17 again).

Just interested in your thoughts and experiences.....

I joined at the height of Covid lockdowns when I suspect people had a lot of time on their hands for various projects; now we're all back to normality, it's harder to find the time.

That seems to be part of it. Economic downturn since then has also dried up a lot of people's extra cash -- heating and food are just so much more expensive.

I was in inclined to agree then I saw this for sale post. Most of it gone in less than 24hrs.

I was in inclined to agree then I saw this for sale post. Most of it gone in less than 24hrs.

I thought the prices were very competitive

Def seems to be something going on over the last year but I don’t thinks it just cycling or cycling industry affected I thinks it’s a storm of a lot of things, mainly lots of prices going up at all levels for all sorts of reasons and at the other end most people having to sacrifice things related to hobbies leisure activities holidays ect ect

Also at work we’ve had an influx of people over the last few months unlike before asking if we would buy their bike or know what’s it’s worth where to sell ect We never buy any bikes as we are CiC bike project but it maybe shows there’s a lot of people trying to get rid of whatever they can..

maybe would get the odd person here and there trying to sell us a bike a month before but recently last couple of months it’s been nearly every day either in person, phone, web

Back