the Arnham mountain bike museum, anyone fancy a trip over there?

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
several years ago i met Jeroen at the Old World Mountain Bike Champs, think it was 2009, he turned up with a van full of amazing bikes in Bergen, someone asked how many bikes he had and i think he said 300ish, cut to a few years later and i'd heard he'd finally started his dream of a museum, it's a place i've wanted to visit for a long time, the website says they now have 800 bikes.

although i have been to the Netherlands, for the OWMTBC i am not really fimiliar with it at all but i'd love to go, is it best to fly? then get a train, easier to drive? massive cost difference between the 2?

anyone done it? i'm southampton based so both driving and flying are sensible options.

pic taken from an old thread showing Jeroen in full 90's pink/yellow kit!
owmtbc2009.jpg

I went there last year. I stayed in a nice hotel in De Steeg, next to the Rhenen trail. There are a couple nice MTB-routes in the area. I did visit Jeroen's museum. The museum is also next to a route. I am based in NL, so I didn't opt for the plane to go there.

hey Mel,

i assumed you had been there! which would be the best airport to fly in to? i looked at driving but the cost of the ferry regardless of which port is very expensive, and it would be 3 to 4 hours driving here, then 4 to 5 hours from Calais or a couple from Hook of Holland so i think flying would be best

The the most nearby airport is Eindhoven I think. It is around 70km form Arnhem. I've never flown through Eindhoven, so I can't tell whether it is any good or convenient.

I have been to Arnhem to look at where Operation Market Garden took place . I live in the North of England and if I was a going to Arnhem would fly to Schiphol then catch a train at the Airport to Arnhem . The rail service will be excellent and cheap compared to the UK . Arnhem isn't far from Germany and is worth a visit .

Closest is Eindhoven or Duesseldorf, but Amsterdam not far either. But it's even better to take the Eurostar to Amsterdam and train - dead easy.
If you've never cycled in the NL using the knoppunkt dot-to-dot system then it's a must do. Eurostar aren't taking bikes to Amsterdam at present as the station is being rebuilt. However you could go to Brussels or Lille and then take a train to shorten the distance if necessary.

Southampton has flights to Amsterdam.

I am in Amsterdam and was thinking of going. Not takers from the kids 🙄. Count me in if you plan to go.

Back