The anti Klein brigade.

Yeh I would say it’s not the bikes fault at all, not really my thing but they all look mostly amazing ect it’s just the dentists that bought them and the strange behaviour of a few that end up giving certain brands and other things a bad name, it’s kind of inside out and backwards with Carreras constantly get asked for fkng Carreras, Carreras Carreras Carreras every size of Carreras did I say Carreras have you got any Carreras I mean I would never dare buy a reasonably priced second hand bike from a propa recognised brand for cheaper even if it’s way better spec’d cheaper and will likely last longer I just want a Carrera
Ok, so you’re all out of Carreras, don’t suppose you got any voodoo’s?

I came from the era where CNC and hand-built bikes were all the rage.
I was fortunate to be there. Klein and other makes like Cannondale, Yeti, Merlin and others were making works of art.
Klein more so and the price of the bikes reflected that too.
I have one sitting behind me as I type and they are stunning in detail and workmanship.

I don't know why people hate on them.

Every year the company I work for do something called 'The Christmas Cracker'.
Essentially it's a showcase to show employee creativity and talent in interests other than 'work'. We work in a design creative environment so this can include painting, photography, sculpture, woodwork, costume design or Crochet.
I normally bring a 'retro bike' and do a bit of wheel building - this year was no exception.....and of interest to this thread, this time I bought the Klein along.

Showcasing the Dolomite to a mainly 'non bike' crowd was interesting..... It was the paint rather than the innovation and it's weight that drew the most comments.
Those that 'knew' about Klein were just as excited to see one in the metal....they remembered it as a dream bike BITD.
PXL_20231205_111859626.jpg
PXL_20231205_111908955.jpg

Quite frankly, thinking of what the UK had to offer, no one made anything that could match the unique appeal that a Klein had.
The Pace RC100 had the innovation like the Klein - similar advances in headset and bottom bracket design, innovative aluminum frame design, lightweight all out race bikes......but, judging by today's crowd it was the paint that was the biggest draw.

The Pace didn't have that. 😁

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Essentially it's a showcase to show employee creativity and talent in interests other than 'work'. We work in a design creative environment so this can include painting, photography, sculpture, woodwork, costume design or Crochet.
I normally bring a 'retro bike' and do a bit of wheel building - this year was no exception.....and of interest to this thread, this time I bought the Klein along.

Showcasing the Dolomite to a mainly 'non bike' crowd was interesting..... It was the paint rather than the innovation and it's weight that drew the most comments.
Those that 'knew' about Klein were just as excited to see one in the metal....they remembered it as a dream bike BITD.
View attachment 801713
View attachment 801714

The Pace RC100 had the innovation like the Klein - similar advances in headset and bottom bracket design, innovative aluminum frame design, lightweight all out race bikes......but, judging by today's crowd it was the paint that was the biggest draw.

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy
Nice.
I am into photography and design work too.

Look at my Klein Site https://retroklein.com

I would like to learn wheelbuilding too. What tips do you have and what Park Tool is that machine you have?

Thanks

Nice.
I am into photography and design work too.

Look at my Klein Site https://retroklein.com

I would like to learn wheelbuilding too. What tips do you have and what Park Tool is that machine you have?

Thanks
@midibiker
Thanks!
I've had a look at your site. I like the way you're going about building your site! If you want to add my Dolomite ( I noticed you don't have one in your amazing Klein collection) - feel free to use my pics or ask for more you can adapt to suit the website style.

As for wheel building ( we both have similar tastes in black bullseye 🎯 on NOS campagnolo Atek black rims! ) ..... I could give the standard - check out the many threads on here if you want dabble.
My honest answer would be -

1. Start small. Don't go straight in with boutique - those hubs can be fragile if you don't know what you're doing. Pick a dependable hub like a deore DX....it can take more punishment.

2. Study your favorite wheel set. Try to copy this. Use it as a guide.....rebuild your copy several times. Get your confidence and feel for what happens if you do this and that.

3. At the risk of sounding like 'Swiss Tony' - treat her gently - small steps, quarter turns. Maybe she pulls this way, maybe that... perfection takes patience. Pick a quiet place...you don't want an Audience. Go in too hard and you'll break her!

4. True. Correct rotation (so it runs round). Dish. Push it on the ground both sides to pre-tention.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Make sure you're playing quality tunes and have a favorite tipple at hand.

5. If all else fails. Lace and ask a shop to finish.... or wait to December and ask the Elf on the Shelf to do it! @ratcapa .....yes this is your wheel! - Didn't get chance today..was talking Klein too much! 😂
PXL_20231205_211252710.jpg

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:

View attachment 801713
View attachment 801714

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy
the one id love to own...Perfect. :cool:

I think it's envy or jealousy that most people have an issue with Kleins. Yeah bought & ridden bitd by people with plenty of funds. The paint jobs may be marmite, but you can't deny they were a fantastic ambassadorial product for our hobby.
Quite frankly, thinking of what the UK had to offer, no one made anything that could match the unique appeal that a Klein had. And despite me being very fond of handbuilt steel frames, alu is harder to work with so I don't really agree with statements that alu is inferior or lesser than something made of Reynolds gas pipe.
I'm not saying Klein's were the best, just glad my eyes were graced to see a few bitd.

No, it's ******* not.

And that's such a classic Klein-lover thing to say.

It's not envy. Or not always.

Some people just think they look ill-proportioned and shit.

Other people ride actual bikes and know they ride like unforgiving ass most of the time, too.

All good tho. Sometimes nice paint jobs are cool.

The bike you could buy with Klein money these days, too...

Honestly though, I'm really happy for anyone that has a bike they love

That's all that really matters.

Loving a bike. Riding a bike.

(If you don't ride it we're not the same person, and that's OK too. I just won't ever respect you! ;))

I'd kill the firstborn I'll never have for a Cunningham. Without even a second of doubt or regret.

So we all have our kinks.

😂 ^^ it’s 100% all about the paint job with a Klien they look like jack s**t in plain blue or red

a Klien without expensive paint is called Cannondale

And did Trek really ruin Klien, I think they are only guilty of trying to revive a pretty much dead patient, and when they stopped the pretty paint to make the brand more accessible discovered nobody actually wanted the bike as a bike.

Trek bought a donkey

@midibiker
Thanks!
I've had a look at your site. I like the way you're going about building your site! If you want to add my Dolomite ( I noticed you don't have one in your amazing Klein collection) - feel free to use my pics or ask for more you can adapt to suit the website style.

As for wheel building ( we both have similar tastes in black bullseye 🎯 on NOS campagnolo Atek black rims! ) ..... I could give the standard - check out the many threads on here if you want dabble.
My honest answer would be -

1. Start small. Don't go straight in with boutique - those hubs can be fragile if you don't know what you're doing. Pick a dependable hub like a deore DX....it can take more punishment.

2. Study your favorite wheel set. Try to copy this. Use it as a guide.....rebuild your copy several times. Get your confidence and feel for what happens if you do this and that.

3. At the risk of sounding like 'Swiss Tony' - treat her gently - small steps, quarter turns. Maybe she pulls this way, maybe that... perfection takes patience. Pick a quiet place...you don't want an Audience. Go in too hard and you'll break her!

4. True. Correct rotation (so it runs round). Dish. Push it on the ground both sides to pre-tention.
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Make sure you're playing quality tunes and have a favorite tipple at hand.

5. If all else fails. Lace and ask a shop to finish.... or wait to December and ask the Elf on the Shelf to do it! @ratcapa .....yes this is your wheel! - Didn't get chance today..was talking Klein too much! 😂
View attachment 801752

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Hi,
Yes I like black Bullseye Hubs, with Black Ateks, black spokes and nipples.
But they are not easy parts to locate.

Yes that would be great, send me some pics and I can work some magic on them.

As for the wheel building you are right. I want to start small and perfect it on everyday hubs and rims.
Then progress to possibly making some retro combos sets.

What tools would you advise? I was looking at the Park Tool Wheel Stands like you have.

Thanks

The paint on a Klien is a work of art period and nothing else even comes close

The Pace mentioned above is a machine for racing and paint serves no purpose for the prospective buyer

Different horse - different race

Back