The all new 2015 budget off-road lighting thread...

Re: Re:

xerxes":1creaozj said:
They also make branded lights by Hope, Lupine, Exposure, etc. look ludicrously over priced; I'm sure they're better quality, but I'm not sure they're 5 or 10 times better. :?

I think your right about not being 5 to 10 times better quality. Hope and Exposure need to start charging more!!!

Re: Re:

xerxes":2zj5bpxt said:
I take their outputs with a pinch of salt

Having read a few reviews, I think that the sellers are quoting the theoretical maximum output of the particular LED unit, CREE XML U2, CREE XML T6, etc., multiplied by the number of LEDs........

.......and then multiplied by two! They often claim some unrealistic numbers for their battery capacities too.

At some point though the limiting factor will no longer be down to the LED's it will be down to the heat management and from what I've seen that's something these cheap Chinese lights don't do very well, even with a low number of LED's.

15000 lumens would be ridiculous anyway, but even if it's a quarter of that it's still an insane output.

To put things in perspective, a 100W lightbulb (incandescent) puts out around 1600 lumens.

Raging_Bulls":3txmmaoy said:
15000 lumens would be ridiculous anyway, but even if it's a quarter of that it's still an insane output.

To put things in perspective, a 100W lightbulb (incandescent) puts out around 1600 lumens.

I'd be incandescent too if I were a light bulb.

At these prices I ignore the quoted figures and just use them for what they are: potentially short lived but bright night time lights. The battery mounting is crap, the handlebar mounts are not much better but can be modified to fit others. There is still a battery pack in Wendover Woods...

When I had access to Exposure's range in 2011, they were fantastic but insanely priced, these can be bought for less than the cost of some of Exposure's spares. I could buy ten of these cheapies for the cost of one top end Exposure.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/275709/pr ... oCSezw_wcB

Latest posts

Back