That’s it …. I’m throwing the towel in

So the spinning one is now out. Simple job actually carefully using a hacksaw whilst pulling away from frame

So now the issue of the other 3. Downtube will be easy but yes the bottom one on the seattube is going to be awkward

I had a similar access issue when drilling new holes for rivnuts on this one bought one of these.

A1043264-0AE6-480E-A820-D285FFB15406.jpeg

Rivnuts removed with a little advice from Dan Chambers (cheers)

Started the long process of trying to remove all scrapes with wet/dry. Had to go slightly rougher than I’d hoped but it should clean up mostly. It’ll be a few sessions working through the grades before it can be polished.

It's a war of attrition (abrasion) but you'll get out what you put in. Look forward to seeing the results.

Had a bit of time on it today. It’s not perfect as some scratches are a little too deep to remove but it’s 90% I’d say. Once decals are fitted and components on it would hide most imperfections.

Currently on P800 grade so needs to go higher before polishing can commence

So a update

98 frame is prepped for anodising but unfortunately Acorn have let me down by never replying to my emails or answering the phone which is disappointing.

I’d also acquired a 94 frame too in ball burnished with a Judy SL which I’d planned to have done turquoise if the green worked.

However I did a 6 hour trip yesterday to fetch a purple Zaskar which isn’t mint (far from) but it’s a step towards the collection being full of the colours. B8499B43-FCE0-4A81-B9F4-10EFBB5126D7.jpeg C5859F98-938C-4C2B-A66F-AEFE2C39B880.jpeg EEB19905-58A0-451E-AF92-A4F7BA01CA0A.jpeg DEE4025F-F952-41CB-B556-13A50BB7D43F.jpeg

This frame has had a spinning bottle cage rivnut since coming here @longun never got round to it but last night, after numerous previous attempts to remove it, I got serious. This is how it went.

Cutting disc in dremel. Cut off most but not all of head of stainless allen bolt stuck in nut. Change to blue grinding head in dremel. Grind off rest of head down to ally rivnut flange. With needle nosed mole grips compress and pull up flange with point of grips a little section at a time head on. - softer than head so clamp on and pull until it releases. Do this a lot for about ten minutes until you've created a little ally cup around the remaining bolt stump. The stump protects the frame for the next bit as the ally grinds more easily. Grind off the cup and repeat the process. Each time the cup edge gets thinner until eventually you can push the stump into the frame. If you're super careful with the grinder there's no damage to the frame.
Trawling old threads for remedies and looks like this is a process I'll be undertaking soon. All I wanted to do was add some bottle cage bolts to complete a build, but oh no the rivnut had different ideas and decided to start spinning, trapping the bolt with a couple of threads still to go. Urrgghh.

Interesting thread. I kinda wish I had a plain old polished Zaskar rather than a ratty anno one so I could just polish it and be done with it.

Back