Teaching disabled kids to ride

Little'uns tandem arrived earlier in the week and she had her first run on it yesterday. I think it was a big hit - should have seen her face. 😂

It just needs a few little tweaks to the saddle and control angles and it's all good from the box.

If the weather stays fine I'm hoping we can get in an ice cream run to our local park. 👍🏻

Was a so and so to get into the bike cave though! That's with a relatively small tandem and after moving on some of my mothballed kit! I think I've nailed it though - just needed to shift some of the other stuff around.

If anyone is interested (and I hope this doesn't break any forum rules) we got a Circe Helios in the end. The 20 inch wheels and compact frame made it a no brainer with the limited space we have. Plus the low standover makes mounting and dismounting easier. I opted for an Alfine 8 hub gear as it'll allow us to change to an easier gear whilst stationary if needed. The only upgrades I went for were mechanical disc brakes both ends for better stopping (and no rim wear) and a separable frame so it can overwinter in the loft. The Cyclecentric people were so helpful in getting things right (but I had a pretty good idea of what we wanted anyway).

Both little'un and I are pretty chuffed with it and I hope this will be a massive benefit to the family. Even if it's not, it's super easy to convert it to a cargo bike with a massive load platform out back and I already have a string of 'grownups' that want a turn. 🤣

Cheers all

Mark

Cheers

Mark

A friend of ours has used a tandem with her daughter (downs) for a long long time, went to holland on it too, using the ferry from here (hull). She used to just about ride a trike.

My son's (CP) now riding a fixed Trike, second one we've had. This time without much of the fancy supports and is a Limited Edition Pashley I think, he loves it and the freedom, though only goes about a mile or so still before he's tired or aching.
We do have another (3rd) trick we tried wit 5 speed sturmey, but it having a freewheel and not fixed means it's too hard to use (no pedal momentum). But it also converts to a tag along and I have used that a few times.

Pretty sure this whole thread is missing picture (which are now pretty easy to do with this new forum setup)

I forgot to add that we specced a crank freewheel for the stoker too. It means the timing can get a bit off - there was an odd pulsing as she brought her power in during my dead stroke - but it means she can take a rest or catch the pedals more easily if she slips a pedal. So many positives, and only a minor negative. In fact we did just over 3 miles today, dropping in on one of her school friends rather than going for ice cream. She was so chuffed.
👍🏻

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: CTK
My youngest is 8 and has CP. Its mild/moderate and he can ride a bike up and down the street but is not really confident. We bought a burley tag along and its the best thing ever! When he's a bit bigger I guess it'll be a tandem.

These people in cardiff were really helpful in getting my boy riding- fantastic charity.

Great to hear your finding solutions for your little ones.

I have not had to face any of those challenges with my little one but what I would say for any child have a look at the ride on top tube seats systems.

We had been using a hamax siesta rears seat when she was small. We fell onto this ride on seat just before lockdown… and a s/h Cotic Solaris Max ( you will want a bit of room) before the world of prices went mental.

My daughter got so much more from having to sit on that, hold on, balance, and not staring at my back all day long. The interactivity was 10 fold. She can feel the bar move, the brakes being used. ring the bell. See the road ahead We could talk thru standing on the “pedals”.

For when they a big enough VS being belted up in a hard seat. I cannot
Imagine a better way for kids to ride a bike without riding a bike.

I wish we had got it way earlier.

Reactions: CTK
We tried a disabled riding charity in Weston-super-Mare. They were OK but it was fair run for us and little'un didn't seem to take to it so we stopped going.

The tandem has been a massive hit though, and she want to go on it every weekend if it's dry out. We've already managed a rear puncture and picked up dog poo (eugh) so we've had the 'events'! Having an Alfine hub and super tight tyres, the puncture was a real chore to fix! Now I understand how it all works it'll be better next time. Still loving it though... 👍🏻

Cheers all

Back