Syncros Bottom Bracket - the right tool for the job?

Carge

Retrobike Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
OK - so I've bagged a rather nice Syncros BB - thing is, I don't have the tool to fit it. My Hope one doesn't fit and I don't have any pin-spanners yet ;)
I might have a lock-ring spanner somewhere - and can borrow one if needed.

2C7D060A-93AF-4CCF-ACF2-1C1558F56969.JPG

So what do I need to fit this beauty without scratching and ripping bits out of it?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
OK - so I've bagged a rather nice Syncros BB - thing is, I don't have the tool to fit it. My Hope one doesn't fit and I don't have any pin-spanners yet ;)
I might have a lock-ring spanner somewhere - and can borrow one if needed.

View attachment 628197

So what do I need to fit this beauty without scratching and ripping bits out of it?

Thanks in advance :)
Whereabouts are you?

To be honest if the threads on the shell and the cup are clean and lightly greased it’s not so much of a problem improvising in the case of installation. Needle nose pliers would get the cup tight enough, shouldn’t need the sort of force that could cause any damage. Same for the lock ring, protected with a rag and some grips would work.

If removing I wouldn’t use anything other than the correct tools as I usually find the forces involved are much more likely to cause slippage and damage/injury. For the cost of a pin spanner and lockring wrench on eBay (£10 if you don’t mind cheap tools) it’s going to be a lot less than spares for a Syncros BB/paint for your bike or the pain of putting up with looking at the damage!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Morning - SSP-2 or SPA-2? Red handled pin spanner?

I was thinking of trying the SPA-6

Red handled was a no go, the pins aren't long enough to reach the full bore and just slide out under pressure. Can't imagine, judging by the pics that the spa-6 would work, would need longer pins or a way to lock in the correct width.

I have quite a few Syncros Ti BBs on retros and use a custom filed Shimano cup spanner which locks in situ with a side plate) so it matches up with the lock ring notches ( the last prong needed it iirc ) Maybe just buy a cheap version and do that. I have also used my single prong cup spanner but you risk applying too much pressure on one cup notch and i cracked one once on final tightening. These BBs are so pretty imo they are worth the extra protective fuss.

Attachments

• 18952722-D851-4B5C-B90D-1A1F1AFF0FC4.jpeg
    18952722-D851-4B5C-B90D-1A1F1AFF0FC4.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 20
  • 19CE6E9B-CB10-416D-86B3-CD02FC727641.jpeg
    19CE6E9B-CB10-416D-86B3-CD02FC727641.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20
@M-Power Presumably you're talking about just the lock-rings here?

Putting it out there for the experts to laugh at - I mean confirm :) ...
Are the Titec, Syncros and Tune AC38 BBs the same pin size and diameter?

Is the Tune W2 BB tool the answer?

Back