Sustainable disposal of a Raleigh Maverick?

MartinYorkshire

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
We've got an old Raleigh Maverick which I need to dispose of. Thinking of sending it to a local charity although not sure they will take it, given that it will need servicing prior to sale.

Considering it's nearly 40 years old, it's in pretty good condition. I gather they aren't particularly collectible. Its fully original as far as I know.

I'd just like to maximise it's worth (non-monetary). Perhaps a community project, etc etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Maverick1.jpg

Bouncy-Seat.jpg

Rear-Mech.jpg

Badge.jpg

Crank.jpg

Attachments

• Shifters.jpg
    Shifters.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Stem.jpg
    Stem.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5
There are charities that would take it even though it needs a service, if my local ones are typical. They sell them and even send some robust steel ones abroad to help community projects. I have a couple of Giants that I shall be donating soon.

I'll have a look into these options, thanks guys.

Didn't fancy ebay as aside from their new policies on bank accounts, something like 25% of its value would be lost to ebay themselves unless I went charity auction route.

I'll leave this and see if anyone has other options too. I know its not a great deal of money or value, but I'd like to maximise what little there is.

They are quite collectable now. If you list it on ebay with a 99p start you might be surprised with how much interest it generates.

I have a feeling this is a relatively low spec version. Think there were 3 versions and this could be the poorest out of them. I doubt it would make £100 on ebay to be honest, so might as well try to find it a home elsewhere and avoid forking out fee's to ebay.

It's not the lowest spec one. I had the cheapest one as a kid and the colours were called champagne and brown if I remember correctly and it was a single ring up front. Yours is posh with a triple setup.

By 'service' do you mean 'squirt some degreaser over the whole thing, wash in hot soapy water, let it dry and spray lube in the appropriate places (the bike that is)' by any chance? Oh and put some air in the tires too, people love that. About 45 minutes to an hour of precious time

It isnt worth a lot ebay sold items says £60 an that was for the model up with the Sugino cranks and Suntour gears

Back