Sunn Tox 1998 upgrade advise

silas68

Retro Newbie
Need some advise. I'm a novice when it comes to bike upgrades, so excuse my ignorance. Recently purchased a Sunn Tox 1998. I had the Tonic first time around when they were released in 98. Fell in love with the brand. Decided to plunge back into local forest trail riding when the Tox came up for sale locally. The bike is fairly stock original and decent condition. Want some ideas on what to pimp up without compromising the original look. I get it's about personal preferences. So interested in current trends/wisdom from the community. Would appreciate some ideas of how to make this an improved ride and head turner. The Tox is bottom of the range when released, but still has some decent components to offer a fun ride. I need advise on sus forks. Should I or shouldn't I? Just missed out on a Obsys carbon purchase. But thinking I need something that's easily serviceable. Should I go new or vintage to the era, or hold out for an Obsys. I have been looking at something like a Pace RC36 – easily serviced?. The look is very close to an Obsys. I don't need high performance for my kind of riding. I need short travel, right? Also, what's the opinion on upgrading to period Deore or XT on such a cheap frame? Also, does anyone have experience of aftermarket decals for this era – the bubble stickers? How close to the original are they? Worth the spend? Seen replacements available on a French site. Quite a lot to chew over. Any advise welcomed.

Spec:
Gripshift 400 (upgrade to higher or change to thumb shift?)
Front der: Acera X (upgrade to STX RC to match rear?)
Rear der: 7 speed STX RC (gets good reviews here - stick with it?)
Brake levers: Rudd (would like to upgrade to Avid SD)
Brakes: Shimano (would like to upgrade to Avid Supreme)
Seatpost: generic no brand. (Am looking for original Rudd post in black or pimp up to Syncros?)
Crankset: Suntour xr17 (can you upgrade to a 1x on this frame)
Stem: Sunn Rudd (or pimp up to Syncros cattle head)
Rims: Rigida

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 1,167
you could go mad on that its very nice. The decals gel at retrodecals may be able to help you.

suspension or rigid is up to you really and what riding your do. suspenion travel would be around the 80mm mark.
I think id slather it in shimano deore XT gear for starters.

It could do with a little more colour too a few anodised touches maybe

Agree. It's got good bones. The chrome is super nice. I'll probably look at the decal option, thanks. It's what turned me onto the brand originally. If I come across a well priced XT groupset, i might just take the plunge. It was on my mind. On the forks, have moved to late 90s and early 2k models. A little more reading on Pace, Rockshox and Marzocchi before I commit. Looking for a reliable no frills performer. Had my mind set on something around 60mm, but yes, 80mm opens out the choices much further. I am erring towards the looks of Pace. But get that Rocks and Maz are better brands. Was thinking about the bling! Interestingly the front hub has an allover yellow Sunn Shimano sticker. Yellow might be my starting point, or if get decals - it'd be going they of mid blue. Watch this space!

Some examples for fork heights:

- Marzocchi Bomber Z1 from 1997, 100mm travel, crown to axle length: 473 mm
- Marzocchi Bomber Z2 from 1997, 65mm travel, crown to axle length: 432,5 mm
- Marzocchi Bomber Z1 from 1999, 130mm travel, crown to axle length: 500,6 mm

The older Marzocchi XC forks (all before the Bombers):
- Marzocchi XC forks, 51mm travel, crown to axle length: 416 mm

Thanks for the info on the Marzocchi forks. I have ended up buying a Pace RC36 Evo. Wasn't intending to purchase so quickly. But have taken the plunge. Yet to receive it, but think you can reduce the travel to 70mm. It's a close match in looks to the Sunn Obsys forks. Let's see what it does to the geometry.

Hi mate....

I’m also a Sunn fan. Lovely frames and very Kona esque without the huge following.

Here’s my Xcircuit from same era. I’ve went full XT and RS SIDS. You only need a short travel fork as I found out earlier in my thread when I fitted a set of bombers which totally knocked out the geometry.

I’ve literally just fitted the 90mm version of the On One stem in my thread as 80mm just didn’t feel right. These bikes are made to feel light and fast...

Hope this helps and inspires...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=395522

Cheers
Andy

Very cool and very jealous OP, looks like I'll be scouring the secondhand sites for something similar for a while! haha

Also start a build thread once you get the forks on, people (me) will like to see what you've done so far.

Andy, Your Circuit looks ace. Right mix of old and new. Enjoyed the detailed thread. For better or worse, will post some new pics with RC36 Evo's installed. Good to see the passion for Sunn is still very strong out there.

Re:

Great start point, I'd go for a M985 crank with a woolftooth single ring, M985 shifter (10spd) and matching rear D with a 10spd cluster with a 40T inner cog (drop the 15/17 for a 16t cog). Add V brakes of your choice and a nice hub (CK) set to match. You have the fork sorted so a CK headset is a must. Syncros or Thomson stem & seat post.

Back