Stupid innovations

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
...it takes me ten minutes to replace a brake cable.

I am ten hours in trying technique 87 trying to get a bloody gear cable through the internal routing on a Cannondale Bad Boy.

Stupid innovation, internal routing.....

Technique #88...

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZaGL83RMFI[/youtube]

...yup, the vacuum cleaner trick four minutes in works a treat.

The problem comes when there is no internal tubes or guides. My meta don´t have and it was a nightmare (only for the seat post), you have to catch the wire and it is a nightmare, but the Yeti has and it is easy, you insert the cable and that´s it, there is a internal guide (a internal carbon tube ) and you will never have problems.

Madjh - exactly. Some manufacturers think ahead and do put sensible guides in place, Commencal are good in that when you get a new frame there are wires through the frame, but after that it can be a right faff. Some DH manufacturers have now understood that a quick gear cable change means external routing - hurrah!

Right = technique 92.

'Discovered' new approach - thread clear cable inner through from rear end - this can then hook up cable and you can draw it through - really quick and easy

Phew

wireless gear shifting will make this defunct. sram xx1 eagle axs. I found it easy routing cables on the Trimble using a wire coat hanger.

Electronic shifting is ... not for me. I was looking for a wireless system for my new Yeti and no. The problem is the batteries and there are two, one for the RD and the other for the seat post and another for the shifter and other to control the seat post from the handlebar. And you have to check if they have enough power for a 4-5 hours of trails. And you have to check The garmin Edge, the mobile phone, muy heart monitor (it is a Mio and runs with rechargeable battery) and off course the day rear light that I use (Bontrager Flare RT, best inversion ever, cars pass me far away since I use it).

So, it will be a nightmare. How many batteries we have to charge? No, simply it is not a clever system. No wires but more weight and more batteries.

Back