Stripping Ano

pw_pw_la

Senior Retro Guru
What's everyone's preferred method of stripping the ano off of something small, so you can polish it up nice and shiny instead?

You know, you've got some 3DV cable hangers and you'd really prefer they weren't, for example...

Products? Methods? Do's and Don't's, Etc.

I'm here to hear them!

Caustic soda in warmish water, dip for 5 seconds then wash in clean water, repeat until you get the desired effect. Don’t leave in too long as all these will attack the alloy but the washing will neutralise. This works quickly with no need to scrub, it gets in all the nooks and crannies instantly.
Oven cleaner works well but can be hit and miss, especially with weak EU/U.K. ones and often requires scrubbing. Good thing with oven cleaner is it takes longer and so less chance of f*cking up by leaving parts in too long.

Be careful with threaded areas, leave anything on too long can eat into the threads and weaken them. Also don’t use any of these if the part has any bonding/glued area.

Excellent.

I've seen a lot of Caustic soda chatter around here recently, but I'm a little scared to try it, honestly!

Seems like its the best route tho... As long as I do it outside, wear gloves and a mask, and go the less is more route!

Thanks!

Don’t use hot water, the reaction is too manic, just warm water. A couple of table spoons in a bowl of water, have gloves, tongs or a tea strainer sieve, bowl of clean water and paper towels at the ready before you start. Always take it out too soon and redip rather than leave it too long and remember the reaction will continue til you clean the soda solution off so always dunk in the clean water between dips. You will often get a black residue on the alloy surface, that will come off with a rub

Back