StrathPuffer 2020 - any MacRetros going to be there?

The less said the better, one had a busted rib, the other hyperthermia.
But as the sticker on my van says 'racing Sucks'
It beats sitting on your arse on a couch I suppose.
60% of the course was mud, mud and a little bit more mud.

Jamie

Frustrated as hell am I.

This was the first 'Puffer in years where I haven't had a medical problem going into the race, and I was raring to go. I wanted a decent result. Nothing earth-shattering, but something I could look back on and think, yes, that was ok.

First lap, I moved off track to let a faster rider by on a narrow bit. This meant me riding through some bushes, but that's no problem, they're flexy, aren't they? Something gave me a whack in the ribs - probably hit a branch the wrong way, but I kept going. About 10 yards on it started to hurt as rib injuries do.

Was feeling very sorry for myself, so stopped at the end of the lap for a coffee in the hope the pain would go away. It didn't.

Went out for another lap, so the pain upped itself a couple of notches, every bump, every right hand pedal stroke, all accompanied by piteous whimpering. Perhaps I shouldn't have ridden a rigid singlespeed. :)

So again, even sorrier for myself, but still on target, I stopped for another healing coffee. For some reason the pain did not go away. In the meantime SWMBO found out and I was commanded to go the medics.

For obvious reasons, I had been avoiding that. It's common sense to ignore one's own wimpitude, but if the doc says otherwise then you should listen.

There I got suitably prodded, checked that I still had a heart beat, and I got a wee bit excited when I was told they couldn't feel anything grating, but there was a definite dip in my ribs. However my visions of another lap before dark were dashed in no uncertain terms.

I cunningly refused pain relief because I had an ingenious plan. If I didn't take anything, then if the pain lightened up after a substantial rest, it would be proof it wasn't serious, and I could sneak in another lap or two and salvage something out of the event. Didn't work and I had a crap night instead.

There was a consolation though. At the prize-giving I got a bottle of Glen Ord Singleton and seeing as I wasn't on any medication, it would have been rude not to sample it there and then. :)

So for the last 2 weeks I have been seething because all my carefully laid plans of getting stuff out of the attic for the Great Cull of 2020 has been thwarted.

Today was the first time on a bike, and although the ribs are feeling ok generally, in my enthusiasm, I managed to make them a wee bit sore again.

Just as well there's another 'Puffer coming up next year. Unfinished business... :)

Latest posts

Back