Stopping Smoking - wish me luck!!

I used to smoke arround 20-40 cigarettes a day, starting at the age of 15 till the age of 33. After that I quit and from that moment on never smoked again.

Now with 56 years of age I finaly had my first lung x-ray and other testings done. In the end the doctor and me are quite surprised that almost no leftovers of this cigarette abuse (as they are described) had been visible.

Besides that one small part did cought the doctors attention, so a CT test had been agreed. That test showed some leftovers from a not finally healed influenca or something like that which I had when I was in the army at the age of 18 :rolleyes::( But nothing to worry about - it's not going to harm me riding bicycles; and that what counts :)

I had a similar experience time wise, although I never got to 40 a day, I was 20ish and for the last 5-10 years handrolled. I can only hope I am in a similar position lung wise when I get to 56. It's 12 years ago next month that I stopped, 20 a day to 0 overnight and I've never touched one since.

I gave up when I was 40. Cut down over a week or so to just a few a day, then stopped. It was fraught for a few days, but I prevailed. If you really  want to, you will.

Now in my 50's i enjoy 2 or 3 bowls of tobacco in my pipe, so my lungs still stay clean. My tonsils are a different matter! 🤣

Never smoked in my life! From my early years I watched my dad puff away on his Park Drives, so saw sence, his health started to decline in 1979, this was due to heavy smoking, he never quit and had smoked from the age of 15, even when I was given the chance to show him a pair of smokers lounges, on loan from the school that was in 1980, to see them all black with tar in the bottom did make him think twice but he never did stop, he died in 1987 he was 67 years old and the heavy smoking attributed to his death.

My Son has been smoking since he was 21 he's now 29 and I've tried and tried to make him stop,
I don't want him to be like my dad did at the end of the day, but it's his choice at the end of the day.

My Aunty & Uncle smoked 60 a day between them, one day they looked at their house at all the yellow ceilings & walls and realised what they was doing to themselves, they kept putting the money away as if they was still smoking, one day they turned up in a brand new VW Polo, me dad looking shocked and asked how they could afford a new car, she explained and we all cracked out laughing when they told us the dealership wasn't amused with all the lose money in bags which came to £6500.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back