Steerer Tube Thread Extending

Yes, I have the dies, guides and handles for 1", 1-1/8" and 1-1/4".
Easy enough job, so £7-£10 per inch of thread depending on the diameter (fatter steerers are far harder to thread), including extending the headset washer slot.
PM for any more details.

All the best,

I prefer to silver solder the insert in place, so there's a larger contact, but the general arrangement is much the same.

All the best,

I bought all sizes of thread fork dies from China. If you get them all at the same time you save on postage. I ground flat spots on the dies, put them in a vice and use a padded bar between the fork legs to turn it. What I used to do in the 1970s was to take the top race and force it beyond the existing threads with a pipe wrench. The race gets dull so I just kept using new junk ones until I had the proper threaded distance. you have to use a pipe wrench to get the final race on. You have to use a pipe wrench to get it off. Costs nothing and your headset will only loosen up through wear. Its a measure that I did many times as it was the only solution cost wise when I was starting a family. Real threading is much better, but if your broke or cheap it will do. The bikes I used this on were either discarded in the woods or tossed into abandoned mine caving ground. No one tosses bikes out like that anymore. There never seemed to be a shortage of free bikes then. Twice I have extended fork tubes in a manner similar to the above video. Only I drill a hole all the way through the fork tubes and the interior gusset above and below the joint and tack all 4 sided of the pins. If the joint breaks no catastrophic failure, it will feel wobbly. BE2ECF3E-DA5E-4B0A-8B81-EC97DB81A0C6.jpeg

Back