State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm poised.... ready for action..... add to basket finger twitching - will there be a modern gravel type bike, that I most definitely don't need, discounted by such a huge amount over the Christmas and New Year sales that I can't resist buying?
I hear the latest niche in the cycling world is going to be marketed at high court judges - apparently the gavel sector is going to be huge.

(Gets coat, leaves)

I was thinking that cycling is going the same way due to all the electrical gubbins. Soon you'll need diagnostic software just to mount a water bottle.

Back to the cars. I don't think people would mind paying £30 for diagnostics, most reapole know it only takes a few minutes so being asked to pay £100 is a bit much.

Another slightly annoying thing is being charged £30 (plus the bulb) to replace light bulbs, although it's not too bad value on modern cars where you need to go through the wheel arch. Once a main dealer charged me over £60 to replace 2 bulbs (with easy access) without even asking, and I don't even think they were blown as I check bulbs regularly.

Did we talk about this one?

hmmm. Now I'm both hands, add to basket finger twitching like a gunslinger from way out west.... waiting to ease the overstock issue and help the cycle industry back onto an even keel. No doubting that the industry is a bit broken at the moment, I think the big boys have tried to be a bit greedy. I see a Specialized expert diverge with an rrp of £5-6000 but a Sonder Camino ti with an ekar groupset at £3500 and I assume Sonder still have a decent profit margin within that price.

And now this

Honestly Cycle To Work schemes should be a not for profit company setup by the government. It is a tax dodge after all, designed by the government and meant to help the public (reasonably paid public, not the lower paid as they cannot get the scheme last time I looked and I wasn't earning enough, you know the people that need it the most).

Here some USA company is just creaming off 10% of what would be our UK taxes...

Last edited:
And now this

Honestly Cycle To Work schemes should be a not for profit company setup by the government. It is a tax dodge after all, designed by the cover meant to help the public (reasonably paid public, not the lower paid as they cannot get the scheme last time I looked and I wasn't earning enough, you know the people that need it the most).

Here some USA company is just creaming off 10% of what would be our UK taxes...
I don't even think we need a cycle to work scheme at all, at least not in the form of a money lender. Instead we could just have a tax rebate scheme and make it only eligible for bikes 100% sourced and manufactured in the UK only. That should kill off the loan sharks, unfair trading practices and threat from Chinese imports, plus give a boost to UK industry all in 1 move. Will it happen? Pffft!

I wonder if the UK cycle to work scheme was the starting point for the mess the industry is currently in. It seemed like over the course of a couple of years what were £599 bikes became £999 bikes as the scheme became popular.

I don't even think we need a cycle to work scheme at all, at least not in the form of a money lender. Instead we could just have a tax rebate scheme and make it only eligible for bikes 100% sourced and manufactured in the UK only. That should kill off the loan sharks, unfair trading practices and threat from Chinese imports, plus give a boost to UK industry all in 1 move. Will it happen? Pffft!
although I'd opine that the UK tax system is already overly complex and under-resourced with decision-empowered staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back